Fahaka in a community tank

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
The little puffers are total savages! I have kept hairy puffers before any they make my fahaka look like a puppy! But I have had my fahaka in the 7ft comm tank now for a full year (she is about 2.5 years old) and is about 15-16 inches. K will post some update pictures shortly.
I was talking about the little active ones like a avocado or some gsp's. Lurkers are on another level lol. My old arrowhead suvatti would try to bite you.

Check this out this nasty dude in sw

Sorry for slight derail. Lets see some more full fahaka pics.

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
That is one angry SW puffer! Makes me want to get a salt water aquarium as well... I love the spiny box fish as well, although not a true puffer. Now the water change is finished and the fish are back to normally here are a few of the tank.

IMG_3874.JPG

IMG_3881.JPG

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
They are the big 3 in the tank and here are the slightly shy lurkers... although the snakeheads chase/beat up each other a fair amount.

IMG_3888.JPG

IMG_3887.JPG

IMG_3875.JPG

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
That is one nice looking puffer. I'm debating over one of these or a porcupine (sw) for my next big fish. How do you tell males from females with these?

George Fertern

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2016
Man, your tank is always cool to look at. Are you thinking of stocking any more fish? Surprised the oscar and fahaka are so close. But didn't the Fahaka already kill a snakehead? Living in the states I can't get them but still curious. I want to start introducing new fish soon particularly a cheap bottom dweller. Might sound crazy but at the moment he eats at the surface so getting a bottom fish in now might make him get used to it and not associate it with food. At the moment all the lfs have are common pleco and congo bichir which I don't want. They did have a couple baby Ornates but at 40$ a piece would be an expensive risk. I did ask them to get maybe A Delhezi or a Senegal though. What are tips on adding new fish? Also any suggestions for bottom dweller?

George Fertern

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2016
That is one nice looking puffer. I'm debating over one of these or a porcupine (sw) for my next big fish. How do you tell males from females with these?
They aren't a very sexual dimorphic species. I know they recently started breeding these guys, but they do it in giant enclosures(500gallons+) with 4+ puffer. At the hobbyist level, it doesn't matter. It's not really a big deal if your female puffer is named jeff now, is it?
Short answer: Whatever you anthropomorphize it to be.

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
I get that. However it was he he he then switched to she halfway through the thread so I was curious if you could tell them apart.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ the only fool proof way to tell is if they drop eggs, i used to call my old fahaka by a male name till one day "he" dropped thousands of tiny eggs all over one area of my tank...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store