Fahaka in a community tank

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
I have no idea if she is male or female but when I got her from the lfs I was told she was female.. so apologies if I change context for her.
Still debating about adding more fish..might do, the misses and I are going to one of the largest fish shops in the south of England in a couple of weeks so will see if they have anything suitable that I really want.... would absolutely love a black wolf fish but every one says not with the fahaka. But they said the same thing with the fahaka and the snakeheads in a comm tank so depends on what they have and how daring I feel!
Yep she killed a small rainbow snakehead already... my own stupid fault as it was to small to survive... part of rhe learning process. The two stewartii snakeheads I have now are about 8-9 inches and big thick bodied. They give each other a kicking frequently and always recover... by comparison what the fahaka has done to them is minor! Not sure if they are a pair as they go from very affectionate to gill flaring and full on fighting sometimes all in the same day.
Any bottom dweller you get will need to be quite large as the way they move over the substrate is very similar to crabs... which means
Instant violent death from the fahaka. Larger catfish I have had success with (Syno Decorus particularly) and they are great at cleaning up left overs from the fahakas meals. Birchirs are cool but you need to get they big! At least the same size as the fahaka and the potential to be chunky... ornate and endlicheri are good options but not cheap!
As for adding fish there's are no real tips it is about getting the right fish at the right size really... them just hope! I added two tiny salvini cichlids a few weeks ago along with a very expensive 3 inch Azul peacock bass... both salvinis are alive and chasing each other about manically... the bass vanished with out a trace on day 2!

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
I'd avoid fish you really like just because you don't want the fahaka to kill it and make you rethink your set up again. It would be much easier to set up a second large tank and fill that with toothy fish like wolffish. If SA cichlids are enough to push the fahaka around a bigger personality with teeth doesn't sound like it will end well. Just some thoughts.

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
I'd avoid fish you really like just because you don't want the fahaka to kill it and make you rethink your set up again. It would be much easier to set up a second large tank and fill that with toothy fish like wolffish. If SA cichlids are enough to push the fahaka around a bigger personality with teeth doesn't sound like it will end well. Just some thoughts.
Yep you are totally right the wolf fish was never a good idea... I pick up a few cheap very small SA/CA cichlids that I am growing out. They are barely out of the fry phase so not sure they will all survive. But if they get to a decent size I will consider transferring them to the big fahaka tank.

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
Ahh yes... just found it. Good looking tank. I would have never thought to go with a fire eel but with the size of it compared to the fahaka it clearly works. I wish I could be disciplined enough to just have 2 fish in a tank... but I would just be looking at the empty space think what I could fill it with!

George Fertern

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2016
Sheesh, there's been a lot of drama with Fahaka recently. First off, a little over a week ago a heater cracked and exploded in the tank! Luckily I was there to get everyone out and throw them in a 10g laying around until I was able to get the tank clean and ready again for use. No casualties! I've also been adding new fish and so far, not a single problem. I'm hoping I got lucky and got one of the few passive Fahaka. No nips, the puffer seems fine, and now hides a lot less. I added in a Chinese algae eater, a RTGG, and a Tire Track Eel. The only fish he seems to mind are the tinfoils, whenever they steal his food or crash into him. I now feed the barbs and everyone else at the other side of the tank so it's become less of a problem. I've decided to change my stocking plans seeing this to Les boisterous Fish. I was still thinking a large school of clown loaches but calmer free swimming fish, as opposed to an assload of Africans. Either Frontosa or Oscar but I keep swinging back and forth. Oscar would keep up with the growth rate but could be more aggressive, while I would have no worries with the Fontosa's aggression but they grow very slowly. Which one would you recommend? I was thinking about adding six or so of either. That's all I can think of right now but will continue to keep you posted until the big tank is built.

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
Sounds like a lucky escape for all concerned! I live in fear of the fahaka test biting one of the heaters or a wire as I have heard some horror stories. The RTGG sounds like a cool addition.. it I know nothing about them. The eel depending on size could be a target given it shape and movement style... similar with the Chinese algae eater.
Frontosa are awesome and a good peaceful(ish) addition, they are more likely to be left alone and thrive.... but Oscars I love! but they can be boisterous especially in a large group... but I would consider it worth the risk!
I have picked up a few new additions and they are growing out in my African tank. I have got 3 parachomis motaguense, 1 Orinoco peacock bass and a Red Devil. They are all tiny just growing so I will see when they are bigger.. I might trade some back to the shop as they cost me hardly anything. Accept the Orinoco he should be okay and are very slow growing.. if/when he out grows the tank I can easily sell him on as adult PBs over here go fast and for big money! I also got 2 small birchir a delhezi and a Senegalese again I might put them in the big tank/leave in the African tank or trade back in... as it's so hard to find large fish to add to my big tank I kind of want options and if hey all hey sold back it's no loss and will make me a few quid!

George Fertern

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2016
Yeah, both the Eel and the Algae eater are bigger than the puffer but the other day when I threw a worm in the Brando investigated it but left it alone. I'm really guessing(or hoping) that Brando is tamer Puffer than most but then again he could change. I just don't want to put anything in that would hurt him or anything that would just die. Thinking maybe trying other tame cichlids like Severums. Been looking at some Damba cichlids which might farewell and look gorgeous but would have to order online. Right now I have two of my top three favorite fish to own (Fahaka and Giant Gourami) and the last would be a Gar and I'm trying to figure out something compatible with all those. Also was thinking of putting a ton of cool and rare expensive pleco, but probably gonna wait on that one. You're definitely feeling riskier than me, I wouldn't trust the infamously aggressive red devil or Parachromis. I would expect the bichirs and the PB to do well. Well best of wishes to you, and you can always give the aggressive ones back.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store