Fahaka in a community tank

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
Homer does have a point.. if you want a puppy fish then that is the way to go...however if your heart is set on a comm.
Right... no fish is going to have hard enough scales etc to withstand a fahaka. Once you see one chew through a crab or clam you will understand! What it bites, it cuts through...so forget that line of thinking.
You need fish the fahaka will not think is food or survive the initial test bite to see if it is.

Grow outs and then add to the comm is a good idea normally but not with fahaka.there will still be testing/tasting and if the fish are fully grown you run the risk of one killing the other.. fahakas can be fragile emotionally and physically. I am firmly a believer in getting everything and put them altogether in the big tank all at the Same time. Might sound like a disaster waiting to happen.. but the fish need to grow up together and establish there own pecking order etc fahaka are not territorial and will swim the whole tank unless attacked and chases off.. this you don't want! Any aggression will cause the possibility of your fahaka going full Jihadi on your tank mates to be increased.

So large predator but peaceful fish are the way to go.. I know nothing about Gars but seem like a viable option,peacock bass, oscars and Dempseys (especially EBJD) are cool.. bichirs are cool but need to be big before they go on and they will get there tail nipped. Larger snakeheads I had some success with as well (until the bloody pike).
In conclusion, I cannot off you any solutions
Just ideas. It's trial and error... and the error can be pretty horrible. The basic rule is 'never add anything to a fahaka tank that you cannot face the possibility of seeing it get chewed to death face first'. I have seen it... it's horrible (see below) but if you really want to try then good luck!

IMG_2087.JPG

IMG_2088.JPG

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
May I ask what fish you've kept with him so far, and which ones are still alive? :)

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
Currently living happily with an oscar, frontosa, 2 syno deccorus and an ornate birchir (although initially he did get his tail nipped.. but all healed nicely). He also has been happy with tiger barbs and jack dempseys and was fine with the red pike cichlid... until he pike cichlid wasn't fine with her lol...and was great with my golden cobra snakehead. All lived happily together with nothing more than an inquisitive nip to a tail that healed. Hope that helps

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
I just feel I need to add a general caveat... I don't think I have identified any new line of fahaka behaviour or anything... and I feel I have got very lucky with my girl.
This is not a recipe just a series of ideas. It may very well not work.. and most fahakas could turn into the psychotic tank monsters most believe them to be.
So if you want to have a go please try.. but bear in mind you may end up with a very large tank with one very full fahaka lol.

George Fertern

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2016
Do you think less could be more? In the 150 have two or three tank mates(1-2 oscars and a marble gar) and get them all when they are small? I think I now accept the fact that a 15 fish fahaka community would most likely end up being more work than it's worth, and probably end up with a bunch of dead fish/wasted money. Would the tank be overstocked?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ there are a few reasons i can think of...

1. Trying to move a large puffer is never fun or easy...

2. They really shouldnt take in any air, and if you remove them from the tank using saying a net, chances are they will take in air when they puff up which isnt great for their health from what i've read...

3. Puffing uses up a lot of energy for a puffer, and it can take them a while to recover if its done coz of stress..

George Fertern

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2016
If I were to move the puffer carefully and only when the puffer is say four to five inches do you think he would be okay? I say this because the fish could get sucked into the pumbling of the tank.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ if you could transfer the puffer without removing it from the water (i.e use small container to transfer puffer, water and all) i dont see a problem personally...

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Some people really want to push the envelope. I just hope we get aftermath pics.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store