Fahaka Puffer

fahakapuffer20

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2006
California
Just picked up new fahaka puffer, just thought i would share some pics. He is exactly 10.5 inches. I also had a question,i know they are supposed to grow and inch a month for the first 12 months, does there growth significantly slow down after that? i have him in a 90 gallon right now, but hope to have a 200 by sept, dec the latest. By the way before i get flamed, my cousin bought this guy for his 55 gallon, i didnt impulse buy and screw the fish, i helped him out. Hope you enjoy.

007.JPG

021.JPG

022.JPG

025.JPG

024.JPG

012.JPG

fahakapuffer20

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2006
California
Lol forgot to mention the crab, i guess i got the only crab friendly fahaka in the world, i bought him as food an this crab has been snuggling up with the fahaka for 7 hours:p

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
Good-looking fellow! Is that the tank he's living in or the 55 he was in previously? Is the tank cycled? I am very worried for him if that's his tank. There's no substrate or decor for him to feel comfortable, never mind the bioload he'll put out will poison him within a day. Also, please remove those feeders! Fahakas are not piscovores & the feeders will do nothing but give him disease, a fatty liver & will add to the already precarious bioload.

fahakapuffer20

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2006
California
Thats the tank he is living in, Im not to worried about the bio load as i have a 55 gallon wet dry filter, and the flow rate is over 12 times per hour. I chose not to put decor as its alot easier maintenence wise, with nothing in there. Im mainly concerned about how fast he is going to grow, after he hits the 12in mark. I agree the feeders were a bad idea.

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
But was the filter cycled to handle his bioload?
I chose not to put decor as its alot easier maintenence wise
Is this fish just something for you to look at like a painting, or do you care about his comfort & well being, like a pet? Puffers are very intelligent fish & need substrate & lots of decor to keep them occupied & from getting bored.

Kolossus

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2007
Where the heart is!!!
Nice pick up! I think you'll be fine until November or December regarding the upgrade. I grew one of these out and he actually slowed down at around 10in. I say just watch his growth rate and be prepared if possible to upgrade earlier if necessary.

I wouldn't worry about him getting bored either:screwy:. I never found any cool toys or a playmate that my fahaka liked to play with.:ROFL:

They do enjoy a sandy substrate as they sometimes like to bury themselves but no sand will not kill him.

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have to completely disagree on this.

Kolossus

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2007
Where the heart is!!!
Pufferpunk;3835786; said:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have to completely disagree on this.
I knew you would.:)

fahakapuffer20

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2006
California
The filter was cycled, everything was in order. He seems to be doing very well, he is eating well,after being added less that 48hrs ago,and is not breathing heavy. As far as if i care, i will say i probably dont care as much as you, but i do care! If i didnt i wouldnt have dedicated my 2000 dollar+ setup on solely 1 fish, i would have let him rot in a 55. While i value your opinions, i have to agree with kolossus on the decor, Im my opinion, i would think the fish is more concerned with pristine water, and being fed, than he is in passing the hours. Im not a pufferfish and i could be wrong, but we will never know :)

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
Do you really think a fish that could easily live another 10 years in that tank would want to live in a bare one, with nothing to do & only seeing a reflection of a possible predator from below?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store