fahaka question

Big Business

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2005
DC area
i was thinking about sticking a fahaka in with my dorado. i doubt i'll do it, not becuse i'm worried about the fahaka killing the dorado by biting it but because i think the dorado might harass the fahaka to death. If that happens I wouldn’t want to lose the dorado.

so does anyone have experience with a fahaka being ripped open after it dies? Is the poison potent enough to kill the rest of the fish?

NilePufferFanatic

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2007
Idaho
Fahaka's will not release toxins. My firend had one die of harassment from a clown knife. It was never picked at.

Tetrodotoxin is produced within the puffers by bacteria, which are acquired through food. This means that puffers raised in captivity do not contain tetrodotoxin, and therefore are not poisonous until they come into contact with the bacteria.

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
Their skin is poisonous also though, not just their organs. If a fish did take a bite out of a puffer, it would most likely die. If you value your fish, no matter what size it is, the puffer will probably kill it. A 4" fahaka can bite an 8" pleco in half--1 bite!

Tigriuns™

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2007
Singapore
I remember having 1 small puffer from the planted tank to clean all the snail ..end up i throw it into a 5ft tank where all the monster is...inside contain..

1x blackaro
4x pacu
1x RTC
2x ST
4x Endi
2x gator gar

all the above fish dare not eat it just look at it...when i 1st throw in my st ate it and less than a sec it spill it out...

well like my fahaka..solo in a tank but these little guy to me is "dangerously poisonous and a very cool fish" no one dare to touch it..THE UNTOUCHABLE :ROFL:

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
He'll be "touching" them, soon enough! You have all those monsters in a 4' tank? Wow, what are you upgrading to? They must be tiny!

Tigriuns™

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2007
Singapore
Pufferpunk;1398316; said:
He'll be "touching" them, soon enough! You have all those monsters in a 4' tank? Wow, what are you upgrading to? They must be tiny!
it a 5' still got alot of room for them to swim.. the king inside is the gar next is pacu who dun seem to care about any law haha...that was sometime ago..i now keep other fishes...collecting on family... eg ATF family and some catfish family haha

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
What size tank are you planning on upgrading to for all those fish?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store