Fahaka tankmates?

Haretakis

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2006
Ca.
Can anything be kept with a fahaka? I was thinking something like an arro, p-bass, big cichlid, or gar. Any of these or other fish work with the fahaka? They would all be around the same size...

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
None of those will work... Very few things will work with fahakas, not even other fahakas unless you have won the lottery 4 times in a row for over 10 billion dollars! I keep mine with a small common pleco (around 6") and an arulias barb. The pleco is missing the majority of his tail, but I'm not able to get to him to pull him out. The arulias barb just stays away from the puffer. I have had convicts in the tank with him, but it was only a matter of waiting. He ended up only eating one of them. I had 6 tinfoil barbs in the tank with him, and he ate 2, so I removed them. Basically if it is fast enough, smart enough, and small enough, it MIGHT survive. There are rare cases where people get fahakas that will live with other fish, but this is rare and far in between. You are better of just keeping it a one fish tank, or get fish that you aren't planning on getting attached to, and that aren't expensive. One option though, is to get some aquatic crabs (no comments ewurm!) or crayfish, that are alive. They aren't going to live even a tenth as long as the other fish, but they are really fun tankmates for the fahaka for the whole 10 seconds they are alive.

Haretakis

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2006
Ca.
I still think (yes I am ignorant and stubborn) that a big pbass, arro, gar or cichlid would be fairly safe from a fahaka...well the cichlid would have to be pretty huge (dovii then I would worry about the fahaka and other fish...).

Any one agree with that or have experiences that support it?

WyldFya

MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
I have experiences that disprove it. The demeanor and jaw type of the fahaka facilitates biting. Mine took a chomp out of a pleco, which is fairly out of sight, and bit through the tail bone. He also ate a JD that was aroun 6" long. Pbass, aros and gars are all right in the open. Fahakas are lightning fast at swimming, and faster at striking. A silver aro would stand no chance, neither would a gar. I rather doubt that a pbass would be too good at staying away.

How big is the fahaka in question, and how big is your tank? Unless your fahaka is tiny, and your tank is 1000 gallons or more, I don't think you stand much chance. Fahakas are kind of like Jardini, once they hit a certain size they become homicidal killers. Fahakas are just able to do more damage in one bite, and aren't even afraid of fish that are larger than them.

Haretakis

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2006
Ca.
It is all hypothetical...I dont have any of the fish yet or the tank to house them. Just doing some homework...

WyldFya

MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
In general fahakas and tank mates is like putting a hooker in an all male jail... eventually someone is going to get screwed.

RobD23

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2005
The Rex
Haretakis;551700; said:
I still think (yes I am ignorant and stubborn) that a big pbass, arro, gar or cichlid would be fairly safe from a fahaka...well the cichlid would have to be pretty huge (dovii then I would worry about the fahaka and other fish...).

Any one agree with that or have experiences that support it?
listen i kow from experience...i had a 3 inch fahaka puffer rip the heck out of my 12 inch florida gars tail...i also had that same fahaka take a big bite out of a silver arowana that was bigger the the fahaka....doesn't matter what size fish unless theres room and places for the fish to hide it will get killed by the fahaka

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
I think that it all depends more on the fahaka you get NOT other fish you put in with it.

If you really want a combo to work get into the idea of switching out fahakas till you find a more docile one. Granted none are really docile but some will tolerate various fish more than others. A huge tank to give everybody their needed room also helps. just my .02

Here is a picture of a fahaka combo i once accomplished in my 180g. This guy only liked my widebar and ray. He did go after my gar and aro :(

glad to see you are doing your homework before buying!

get-attachment-8.aspx.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store