Fake news weathermen!

esoxlucius

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I had a bike ride planned this morning. I did my research last night weather wise and the reports were good. Cold but fine. A few isolated early morning frost patches were my only concern. I love riding on cold crisp days.

So, my alarm went off this morning, i jumped out of bed and peeped through the curtains and I couldn't believe my eyes......how can the weathermen, with all their technology get it so wrong?

20210411_061159.jpg

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I feel certainly feel for ya.It was sunny and seventy degrees out this way earlier.

esoxlucius

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I feel certainly feel for ya.It was sunny and seventy degrees out this way earlier.
Thanks for cheering me up krich, lol. As you can see from the picture below they were spot on with their report, cold and fine, look at that sky, beautiful. But that stuff on the floor wasn't mentioned by them, lol.

20210411_093213.jpg

Reactions: deeda and tlindsey

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Lol! Only job you can be wrong/bad at 90% of the time and keep your job. More like a guessing game. I've literally watched it as it was raining and it rained off and on for two more days when they said for the rest of the evening and the next couple days it was going to be sunny and clear. Do you guys even look outside! I've got two weather apps on my phone that usually don't match, and if they do they are both wrong sometimes..... especially if they match.

esoxlucius

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Well, no bike ride but myself and young esox made the most of the white stuff. As you can see he has no top on, and behind the camera I have my shorts and t-shirt on! The sun's out and it is very warm, most of the snow will be gone by the end of the day.

SAM_0626.jpg

jjohnwm

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Anyone remember the weather supercomputer that was introduced several decades ago? It was supposed to revolutionize weather forecasting and bring with it a level of accuracy only dreamt of in earlier days. The only problem was...that there was no discernible difference between the actual accuracy of the predictions made by the electronic brain and those gleaned from casting the bones or whatever else it was that weatherman did before. Both methods were lousy. Those guys didn't seem to look out the window then, and they haven't started doing so now.

The forecast for my area was for beautiful 18F temps, light winds (a rarity here) and clear skies. That forecast for my trip home held for my entire last week at the northern jobsite where I work; every day I checked and was promised a beautiful rotation home. Yesterday...the day of my flight...the forecast for home switched to near-freezing temps and an accumulation of 10-20cm of snow, supposedly starting last night and continuing throughout today. My heart was broken. If I wanted to endure crap like that I would have stayed at work.

I stepped off the plane yesterday evening at the airport close to home...into beautiful 18F weather. Lasted all night. As I type this, almost 7am, it's still beautiful, warm, sunny, birds singing. Huh?

Just checked the forecast. Clear, warm, sunny...not even a mention of the snow and cold they predicted yesterday. No explanations, no apologies...just more predictions, for as much as a week into the future. Come on guys...you can't even get it right for the next day. You're not just slightly inaccurate; you are totally, completely, hilariously wrong regarding the weather for the very next day.

Don't embarrass yourselves and insult us by pretending to know what it will be like next week.

esoxlucius

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
To be fair on them they're usually spot on. In the uk windows of opportunity to get out for anything between 2 and 5 hours on the bike, without encountering a downpour along the way, are few and far between. And there's nothing worse than being half way through a ride and the heavens open on you.

So if i've a ride planned I look at the local weather for % chance of rain, temps and wind speed/direction. It's rare that the weather report completely stuffs me, but once in a while I get to build an igloo instead of riding, lol.

Reactions: deeda and tlindsey

esoxlucius

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Oh, and by the way, I forgot to mention in post #3. That photo is looking out from my son's bedroom window. In the distance on the moors you can see a fair bit of lumpy uneven ground. This is a disused quarry which closed down in the 70's. You get a lot of mountain bikers up there nowadays.

The other day as I looked out from my son's room I noticed there looked to be a lot of activity going on, large vans, wagons, and a good few of them. I didn't think much of it, I just thought they were having some riding competition up there or something.

It turns out that it was a film crew........from the immensely popular Peaky Blinders!!!! Apparently part of the 6th and final season is being filmed up there!

When it's eventually aired on TV you'll know exactly which part it is.......it'll be the episode with loads of snow in it, lol.

jjohnwm

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I admit, they are normally pretty accurate...but no more so than before they got the dang computer helping them out, and certainly no further into the future.

But...Peaky Blinders!!!! I love that series, some of the best TV I've ever seen! Didn't know they were continuing it, that's great to hear. :)

Is that what delayed the production of the final season? Did they have to wait for the rare event of a significant snowfall in England, and then strike quickly before it all melted away? :)

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store