False piraiba, Brachyplatystoma capapretum, ~10", in 4500 gal

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
In Jun-Jul 2015, I bought a small ~2"-3" false piraiba aka Brachyplatystoma capapretum from Aquarium and Reef Center, Cape Coral, FL, for $90. Overall, my experience with this fish has been poor and difficult. As opposed to true piraiba, this fish is very skittish and prone to darting and swimming around wildly hitting anything and everything in its path, no matter the tank size. It's done it in 240 gal regularly and I even saw it once in 4500 gal.

From reading around and online pictures, it seems this phenomenon is almost invariably characteristic to false piraibas raised in captivity. Even Enrico Richter's specimen had a badly curved snout. I did come across 1-2 possible exceptions - SirCatfish SirCatfish and Jonathan_G Jonathan_G

My approaching the tank as well as tank mates seem to trigger this phenomenon, sometimes merely placing food in the tank does the same thing. It often or usually ends with the fish running high speed head-on into a wall and stopping then. It has never broken its snout or jaws badly all at once but rather its snout suffered enough blows that gradually it curved down and reached a pretty significant degree now as you will see from the video.

Despite the craziness, the fish fed ok for me, preferring baitfish, cut and whole, just not growing nearly as much as other keepers report. Mine added on ~7" in 1.5 years, while others say theirs reached 1.5'-2' in about the same time frame.

It has now been in 4500 gal for a couple of months and had done well until maybe a week ago. Somebody has been biting its tail too much and it stopped eating. I plan to give it 1-2 weeks and if things don't improve, will have to pull it out back into one of the 240 gal. Gambling, I know. But it's rather miserable in a 240 gal I have seen from experience and I have no other tanks between 240 and 4500 gal.

My guy at ~4"-5", still intact.

Brachie, Capa and Dora.JPG

Mike SirCatfish SirCatfish fish, seems rather intact:

Brachie, piraiba question mark.jpg

Enrico's fish with a bent snout:

Brachie, capa Enrico Richter.jpg

herman moorr

Piranha
MFK Member
May 7, 2016
Nice fish and one of my favorite catfish. Had a pair of 10-12 in false paraiba a few years ago. Very slow growing fish but once they get some size very rewarding. I currently have a small one in a 55 by itself now until it learns to take none live. Only issue is mine came with a severely damaged nose..worst I have seen personally but he is doing well other wise. One way I combat the darting and spooking is to build several slate rock caves when small. They hide in the day and come out at night to feed,etc.Blacked out sides and back helps too. As they grow reduce some hiding spaces. It helped with calming them down. Also helped with my Dorado catfish that's 9in now and swims around with the cichla. This is mine I got in with bent snout. Tried to get another with a good snout but they are out now

20170119_204803.jpg

20170119_204833.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

herman moorr

Piranha
MFK Member
May 7, 2016
When you got him was he already eating prepared food? So far mine has ignored frozen items

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Yea, that's the worst I have seen too in a fish that small or maybe in a capapretum altogether. I hope you got it for a song. I think I've seen them available from some vendors recently. Discus Origins Mark comes to mind (with the highest of recommendations too).

When you got him was he already eating prepared food? So far mine has ignored frozen items
I don't remember if it was fed non-live at the LFS. I sure never offered it any live. IIRC, it learned on its own and the fish did not worry me that it would not, that is, it learned timely.

herman moorr

Piranha
MFK Member
May 7, 2016
Just hope he grows out ok despite the damage. Just checked today and bluegrass aquatics has these instock now. Order 2 myself. 53.98 I believe a piece. Just fyi if you want some more growouts to try.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Bluegrass is a solid vendor and the price is not bad at all. I am hesitant to try again, the $$ is too tight for now. Of course, I want to. I never like trying with a single specimen. I always try to get a good group, at least 5, money permitting.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Now you got a trio of capapretum! That's a rarity, probably the first time I hear of a single keeper having three of them.

If you will, please make up a new thread for all three and update regularly.

Are you going to keep them together? (You can answer in your new thread ;) )

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I pulled the capa out of the 4500 gal some weeks ago, maybe a month or more, lost track of time, and placed it in 240 gal. It looks like I lucked out and the tank mates have been kind to it - 18" wels, 24" Indian swamp eel, and a 24" African lungfish.

The fish has made a remarkable progress. It eats exceptionally well, 3-4 thawed fish every night to a very large bulge. It about doubled in girth. Hopefully this will go on. I will get some visual later. It seems that the reason it has not grown better for me had been that I failed to feed it properly or rather house it properly so it is not stressed and harassed by tank mates.

Right now I'd like to share a couple of shots of my second capapretum aka salton I have got from Snookn21 about 2 weeks ago. It took to cut up thawed fish rather easily. It was very hungry / underfed when I got it. It's ~4":

Brachie capa salton snookn21 1.JPG Brachie capa salton snookn21 2.JPG

herman moorr

Piranha
MFK Member
May 7, 2016
I pulled the capa out of the 4500 gal some weeks ago, maybe a month or more, lost track of time, and placed it in 240 gal. It looks like I lucked out and the tank mates have been kind to it - 18" wels, 24" Indian swamp eel, and a 24" African lungfish.

The fish has made a remarkable progress. It eats exceptionally well, 3-4 thawed fish every night to a very large bulge. It about doubled in girth. Hopefully this will go on. I will get some visual later. It seems that the reason it has not grown better for me had been that I failed to feed it properly or rather house it properly so it is not stressed and harassed by tank mates.

Right now I'd like to share a couple of shots of my second capapretum aka salton I have got from Snookn21 about 2 weeks ago. It took to cut up thawed fish rather easily. It was very hungry / underfed when I got it. It's ~4":

View attachment 1236272 View attachment 1236273
Looking nice. When you say cut fish are you talking about tilapia? Or silversides? Only luck I've had so far is a combo of live and cut shrimp. Wish I could get mine accepting cut tilapia

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store