Farlowella anyone? Experience IDing? Show your TWIG CATS (several genera)

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Back in late November I got a single Farlowella twig catfish. It is still in quarantine because it has been sharing a QT tank with a couple of awesome little angelfish purchased at the same time and which unfortunately I found to be riddled with internal parasites. Thus, everybody in the tank is still in QT.

The specimen is immature, about 4 inches long. Based on the length of the 'nose' and the 2 whips on the tail, plus what I can see of coloration (thus far), I believe it may be the Common Twig Catfish, Farlowella acus. The coloration in particularly seem to lack the solid black stripes, but all of this may be due to being immature, not very happy, or gender differences.
Thus, I am not certain of the id. If it is F. acus, It is supposed to grow to ~6 inches. Other species such as vittata and amazona grow to over 1 foot (!!!!), and there are at least 3 other species that stay in the 6 inch range. Of course, the source locality is unknown, not even a country.
Would like to compare with other specimens from distinguished folks here, even though the pictures I have so far are not very good. Will try to get more detailed ones. Unfortunately, the QT tank (a pentagonal 44g) sucks for taking pictures!

Would you post pictures of your Farlowella twig cats? Or just share pictures of other twig-like cats (Sturisoma, Rhineloricaria, etc.)?
Cheers!
Farlowella acus Comp.jpg

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
I am not a twig catfish expert so I can't provide an ID, but you may want to share this with Planet Catfish as well.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Would be surprised if it’s not acus or vittata which are in my opinion the more common two of this colour/ shape. Wouldn’t expect to see vittata bigger than 8-9”

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store