hexaune

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2010
birmingham uk
Ransom;1595345; said:
I currently have 2 small giant snakeheads that will be eating the feeder fish

also here in the UK
you can not buy FEEDER fish as its illigal to feed a live fish to another one (so my LFS tells me when i asked)
My lfs in the UK sells river shrimp with a sign above saying that they are perfect food for predatory fish. They are a large respected shop so doubt they would do so blatantly if it was illegal. It's.no different to selling crickets to feed reptiles

Although could just be a widely ignored.law

grumpydwarf

Feeder Fish
Mar 21, 2010
ottawa
hi there i was looking to feed my oscar something more lively and i used google just to find out i was a memeber of the place i should of been looking in the first place.

so a 45 gallon wide tank would be fone to breed guppies in good to know i'll pick 100 up to start

FishFreak95

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2009
New Mexico
Are T-Bar cichlids fast breeders? Do the fry grow quickly? The sajicas are a little more than the convicts but i still want a tank with nice looking fish.

jvai

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2011
Mo
This should be a sticky

Reactions: Barrbar

s9601694

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2011
Conroe, TX
So i'm just going to go ahead and *BUMP* this one....

I just got rid of a pair of breeding convicts because they were beating up my juvenile Oscar, Polleni and JD (they were all in the same tank).. I'm breeding meal worms for them but i might go 'back' to convicts for feeders at one point.. As everyone knows, a pair of convicts can get 100 - 200 fry per spawn. It takes a couple of months for them to grow up to say an inch, is that right? in that time frame it seems to me that the one pair wold have produced an additional 800!! You'd need a whole load of oscars to feed all of these wouldnt you??

What do you do with the ones that grow up? I see a logistical nightmare here!

Smertrios

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2007
USA
Dont recall the post but someone quoted a UK law on making animals including fish suffer. I believe with the way the law is written that feeders are ok but any long term "suffering" of an animal such as torture or bad living conditions is what is illegal in the UK. (I am from the US tho)

Smertrios

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2007
USA
I read alot of replies saying "guppy" when talking about feeders that should be bred. I dont know about your locations but around where I live the feeder "guppies" all look like endlers. Here is a link to an aquabid auction where the seller says they dont eat the young... I know some "guppies" will feast on their young if given the chance =/
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwlivebearers&1318820425

big ounce

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2014
Florida
I have bred convicts, guppies and jewels. If I were to breed 1 for feeders today it would be jewels. Those things breed like rabbits. They were laying eggs while protecting babies at the same time. lol. Just my 2 cents. But they MUST MUST MUST be in a tank by themselves when breeding or anything in that tank will be damaged or DEAD.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store