Favorite Fish Photos

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Thank you for the suggestion.

I have varied his diet … Well I have tried, but he gets on these things were he will only eat one kind of food for a while and right now it happens to be omega one sinking cichlid pellets. I don’t know, the feeder fish are getting consumed slowly but it seems too slow for the number of cichlids in the tank.

If he follows his past patterns then he will be eating other things soon. But I recently added fish to his tank so he’s slightly discombobulated.
I've said it before and I'll say it again...sometimes I think Brick and Felix are related! Brick also goes on this "eat this, eat that" phase. The only thing that stopped him from being picky is being around smaller fish that are aggressive eaters. NOTHING else worked. Now he eats a variety of foods. He plays games too...he pretends not to eat certain foods but he'll eat them as soon as I leave.

Another thing I suspect is now Felix is at a size where its not worth the effort chasing down small fish. Oscars are more ambush predators...lugging around that mass chasing around dinky meals isn't worth it.

I'm pretty lucky with Brick this way. He has no interest in eating smaller tankmates. I put my rainbow Pepper in when he was only 3 inches and have had no problems adding other smaller tankmates. (It's the larger fish he harasses or offs). He WILL chase a little when they annoy him but he doesn't spend energy on it.

Reactions: Ulu and Deadeye

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
What are these things and how big of a tank do they need. ?
African Mooneyfish (Monodactylus Sebae)
To breed them, I have no idea what size marine tank you'd set up, but I've raised 6 in a 55g with a 40g sump as brackish fish. They may not grow any bigger than this without full salt water, but they are over 7" tall. Because they have never been in full salt water, they are probably arrested as juveniles.

BUT DO NOT take my word too seriously. I have never had a salt tank, and this is my first brackish tank.

Reactions: Deadeye and Rtc/tsn

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
. . . I suspect is now Felix is at a size where its not worth the effort chasing down small fish. Oscars are more ambush predators...lugging around that mass chasing around dinky meals isn't worth it . . .
I agree. There's a hundred fry in his tank, but he only eats a few of them, when I run out of pellets. I gave him some fry today from the brackish tank, and they were stunned when I dropped them in the fresh water. He sucked them down pronto.

Reactions: Deadeye

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
The mouthparts of Mojo the Murderer are unique among my fish. He has this strange chin, rows of tiny teeth, and his mouth never closes.
659105F4-A73E-4E38-9093-635EFE17740C.jpeg
137C55A5-13C8-4E68-B69E-9A52A18313E9.jpeg
He also has Google eyes kind of like an Oscar fish and you can see he is looking in two different directions here. While his left eye is pointed at me, his right eye is fixed on Felix the Oscar who menaces him from offstage.

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
PXL_20210826_011512313.jpg

Reactions: Ulu and Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store