Feeder tank

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Salt and quarantine your feeders, avoid goldfish if you can. Small live shrimp and crickets can jump start a lot of fish to eating, cricets work to get tfem associating surface pellets with food. Bait shops are better sources for feeder fish than lfs is and if you can use salt water feeders for fw fish and viceversa. Some koi and fancy goldfish farms sell their culls cheap and are a good source if you must use goldfish, they aren't raised like the commecial feeders. Since you are in viirginia you should have access to small sunnies and sw shiner perch which work great if your fish is big enough to handle them.

Derexan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
Personally, I recommend shiners, you can get them at any fishing store. The ones i get seem pretty healthy.

tropicalfishguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2005
Long Sault, Ont. Canada
I think the most important thing with feeders is to make sure you get them from a reputable supplier. we sell them in our store and I don't treat them with anything. They come in healthy, and I have never had 1 complaint from acustomer that they made their fish sick, or they weren't healthy. If you plan on having them for a while I found treating them "just in case" actually makes their life spans shorter, seems like it causes fin rot, etc. But thats just my opinion, and I have a great source for really healthy feeders. I have used Pima fix and Melafix with no ill effects, but haven't had good results with quick cure, etc.

Chad55

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2005
Michigan
Maybe try live ghost shrimp for a while then mix in some frozen shrimp that look like ghost shrimp and they might take one on accident and see there is nothing wrong with it. I was told to use this method on my pike cichlid but I got rid of him before i even tryed

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store