Status
Not open for further replies.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
So let me get this straight I make a post that is in no way an issue but yet you're calling me a jerk. Cool.

As a moderator on mfk I would think that being toxic is not part of your job description. I would vote to have you removed as a moderator but I know it's not going to do any good.
I did not call YOU a jerk, I said you are posting like a jerk. You have posted so many times calling the MFK population elitists, other names. Here you are doing exactly what I stated- your first post was another thinly veiled jab at MFK; I point it out, and here is the victim routine. It's getting old.
Your vote wouldn't do any good because I don't think anybody else would agree with you. I post positively all over MFK. I find no joy in arguing with people online or trading insults. You are literally the only person I've had words with, because of the way you consistently post disrespectfully.
Anyway, this has nothing to do with hotdogs, so I'll stop posting here. I'd advise you get another hobby, other than trolling MFK.

tcav88

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2017
Ohio
The previous thread was a place where people felt that they could bash me. proper feeding practices was never discussed on that thread in my opinion. my goal for this thread is to highlight that feeding anything else other than proper aquatic diet is not good practice. if you have nothing to contribute to the thread then I suggest you refrain from making any comment at all.
Cmon man grow up, based on your last thread we all know this is directly linked to rich and what you think of the Ohio fish rescue. No need to be so sensitive to a moderator calling your thread out for what is actually is which is in fact a “ i hate Ohio fish rescue” post. When you run a facility of such volume then you can come back here and state what’s best via health and cost, until then let it be. He would empty a couple 2.2lbs massivore or any other various pellet bags a day feeding them the “proper diet”. All and all your just bringing more attention to the facility you despise and making yourself look like an asshat.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Why is it that a little prick that gets one thread shut down, is allowed to continue in another, when it is clear that it is simply a spin off of the one that was just shut down? This is just a general question of course, not naming names or anything. And the OP has me on ignore so I'm sparing him the angst of reading any comments that could in any way be perceived as being personal. :)

Hammer time!

Last edited:

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I think we need to put this into a bit of context...

As a regular hobbyist with lets say less than 4 tanks at 200G each, i agree hot dogs are far from an ideal diet, especially for your regular fish under say 16”

However, if you were dealing with large amounts of stock, that grow large in large tanks, (lets for arguments sake say a salmon facility), then yes you are likely going to cut corners to find cheaper ways to feed your stock while keeping them as happy as can be...

Like i highly doubt salmon farms etc are feeding top quality pellets to those fish, chances are they are cheap fillers with possible nasty stuff in them too, so in theory at least, how much worse is it say compared to a hotdog?

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Thats my go to if theres no hebrew nationals. Idk if you have 7-11 in georgia but the 1/4 lb. Big Bite is probably king of hot dogs imo.
We have 7-11’s in Georgia.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Allow me to put this into context, when Omega One started out they gathered the leftover waste from the local processing plants in Alaska - all of the non human grade guts, scales, heads, etc - and made their "Fresh from Alaska" fish food. Dennis Crews was actually given a grant from the AK govt for doing everyone a big favor, as the alternative back then was dumping that waste in the ocean.

Fish slop -pork slop - beef slop - what's the difference?

From the ASTF annual report 2000

Fish Friendly OmegaSea

OmegaSea President and CEO Denny Crews loves fish. He has a

small aquarium at home and another one in his office on the

docks in Sitka. He likes fresh water fish. He likes salt water fish

and now heÕs in the business of making fish food.

"I have been either commercial fishing or saving fish most of my

life," he said.

Before founding OmegaSea, Crews worked as the national sales

representative for Tetra, the largest fish food supplier in the

world. The problem was the primary ingredient in most fish food

is fishmeal a substance with low nutrients because it is

processed before it goes into fish food. "The nutritional level just

isn't there," Crews said.

Crews decided to head back to Alaska and find a way to use fresh

fish waste from commercial processors to create a nutritional

food for fish. To kick start the business, Crews went to the Sitkabased

processors and asked for free fish. They were more than

happy to oblige. Crews supplies the processors with totes so they

can dispose of the fish heads and carcasses as they clean and

gut the fish. The processors, Crews said, are more than happy to

get rid of the byproduct because it saves them the time and cost

of grinding and dumping the waste.

Once back in his plant, Crews grinds the remains of salmon, cod

and other species into a slurry with vitamins and other ingredients

to produce one of the fastest selling flake fish food on the

market today.

Now, with the help of project funds from ASTF plus matching

funds from Alaska Growth Capital, Crews has a $1.5 million project

to buy equipment to develop a new product line Ð fish pellets.

If successful, the venture could provide up to 50 fulltime jobs in

Sitka and a new, stable industry.

Already OmegaSea serves 1,600 retail stores throughout the

U.S., including 12 in Alaska. The New York Aquarium uses

OmegaSea. So does Aquarium Concepts in Oklahoma. Meanwhile,

Crews has just finished putting together his first order for a distributor

in Japan, where the home aquarium market is second

only to that of the U.S. Both the U.S. retail market and the

Japanese market are ready for pellets, he said.

"WeÕre interested in strong growth," he said. "In dry aquarium fish

food, roughly 60 percent of the market is flake fish food, and 40

percent of the market is pellets. Presently, pellets are becoming

more popular. The ASTF funds will allow us to expand into this

growth market, helping us to increase sales and become a more

rounded player in the industry."

It will take Crews about a year to develop the product and get it

to market, he said. After heÕs conquered the pellet market, heÕll

venture into hatcheries. Crews said he plans to look at the

Northern Southeast Regional Aquaculture Association in an

attempt to provide pelletized food for the hatchery fish, which

may guarantee a stronger, healthier return of the species to their

spawning grounds.

Then it will be on to dog and cat food using fresh fish waste,

which will bring Crews full circle. It seems his favorite fish in the

home aquarium is a dogface puffer fish that looks something like

a small puppy.

(OmegaSea currently devolping a website)

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Allow me to put this into context, when Omega One started out they gathered the leftover waste from the local processing plants in Alaska - all of the non human grade guts, scales, heads, etc - and made their "Fresh from Alaska" fish food. Dennis Crews was actually given a grant from the AK govt for doing everyone a big favor, as the alternative back then was dumping that waste in the ocean.

Fish slop -pork slop - beef slop - what's the difference?
Well--and not trying to create a big ruckus here--but havent we established that most tropical fish dont have to ability to properly metabolize food sources like poultry, beef, or pork? And that saturating their diets with these can lead to health problems. Im pretty sure it was you that was making that point in one of the beef heart arguments we had on here...could be wrong though.

Reactions: jaws7777
Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store