Feeding live BSFL to Red Belly Piranha?

Aquaman07

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2019
Hey guys, I have been pondering.
we started a home compost for vegetable waste at home, all natural, no chemicals. I have observed that it attracts a lot of soldier flies. And when in season, the eggs hatch and there are hundreds of larvae that explore outside the compost dump too. Would it be safe to pick the larvae up and feed them to my Red Belly, live( as an occasional snack)? I want to replicate his natural diet as much as possible… I read insects are larvae are part of his diet too…
Please help

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey guys, I have been pondering.
we started a home compost for vegetable waste at home, all natural, no chemicals. I have observed that it attracts a lot of soldier flies. And when in season, the eggs hatch and there are hundreds of larvae that explore outside the compost dump too. Would it be safe to pick the larvae up and feed them to my Red Belly, live( as an occasional snack)? I want to replicate his natural diet as much as possible… I read insects are larvae are part of his diet too…
Please help
I don't see any problem with the RBP eating the Soldier Fly Larvae.

Cich Mind

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2021
Michigan
Hello A Aquaman07 ,
I think you're good to go. Black Soldier Flies larvae would be a good source of protein for your RBP. It's the main ingredient in Fluval Bug Bites. I've heard nothing but good about Bug Bites. I say go for it.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Hello A Aquaman07 ,
I think you're good to go. Black Soldier Flies larvae would be a good source of protein for your RBP. It's the main ingredient in Fluval Bug Bites. I've heard nothing but good about Bug Bites. I say go for it.
All my fish love bug bites. So much so it's hard to feed other pellets.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store