Feeding live fish is illegal...

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
That wouldn't stop it, people could just buy a small fish like a group of tetras. A feeder is technically anything that a larger fish could eat.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Yup you can buying cheap zebra danios or cloud mountain minnows for 99 cents or buying cheap convict cichlid fries.

Pole

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
Here
I usually get some preggo livebearers to breed in my comms to feed my comm fish over a vacation. If anyone ever questions you, say you didn't know that this fish would eat that fish.

cephalofoil

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2013
landlocked.
i was under the impression that the rule was you can't feed live vertebrates to other animals in the UK. A zoo in the UK wanted the group of Erpeton tentaculatum (aquatic snakes) that we had. Problem was that they had to be fed live feeder goldfish since they're ambush hunters.

we spent a few weeks trying to get them to eat frozen smelt and they eventually did with some movement from some feeding tongs. Totally messed with their feeding behaviour though, they weren't as efficient catching something that wasn't moving.

Ian21777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
England
I heard somewhere that you can feed live to predatory fish as long as you can prove that's the only thing they will eat so it's the only thing keeping the pred fish alive. Haven't seen anything concrete tho and like most other laws in the uk I very much doubt it's inforced...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I had a brief read and can't see any mention of exceptions for predatory fish. I guess the official take would be if you can't keep a fish without feeding it live then it shouldn't be kept. Problem solved.

when do they start patrolling the streams and lakes?
What does that even mean?

I guess fishing with worms should be banned too eh? How about feeding live brine shrimp and bloodworms.
It applies to vertebrates. And live bait fishing doesnt count either cus it applies to animals not living in a wild state.

If they really wanted to enforce it, they would ban the sale of feeders to / at pet stores - that would pretty much do it.
They do. We are talking Uk remember.

i was under the impression that the rule was you can't feed live vertebrates to other animals in the UK. A zoo in the UK wanted the group of Erpeton tentaculatum (aquatic snakes) that we had. Problem was that they had to be fed live feeder goldfish since they're ambush hunters.

we spent a few weeks trying to get them to eat frozen smelt and they eventually did with some movement from some feeding tongs. Totally messed with their feeding behaviour though, they weren't as efficient catching something that wasn't moving.
Yes vertabrates. Am I to assume that had you not gotten them onto dead food you'd not have been able to keep them? Im sure by the letter of the law the same would apply to some fish that only eat live.

Im not saying I agree with this btw. Or that it is even practical to enforce. Thought the implications were interesting though. For example it's illegal to keep fish in tanks too small for them. Or in overstocked conditions. Not sure who decides what is too small or overstocked though.
Also one could interpret that putting cichlids together and one getting beaten on could be construed as wrong too?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

cephalofoil

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2013
landlocked.
Yes vertabrates. Am I to assume that had you not gotten them onto dead food you'd not have been able to keep them? Im sure by the letter of the law the same would apply to some fish that only eat live.
I took care of them in Canada. We had to prove they could be transitioned onto dead goldfish or smelt. If we weren't able to do it then the zoo in the UK wouldn't be able to take them at all.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Shenanigans

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2011
Wyoming
I find this funny. How many threads are there about accidental predations? Or how many arguements about what can or cant live with each other. In most cases, combos of certain fish work in some tanks and fail in others, so where's that grey area?

And what about breeding your own? Unless people stand next to my tank and watch me throw in fish, you could never prove I ever fed live.

I think I understand the law, I just dont understand how it could ever be enforced.

Ian21777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
England
I find this funny. How many threads are there about accidental predations? Or how many arguements about what can or cant live with each other. In most cases, combos of certain fish work in some tanks and fail in others, so where's that grey area?

And what about breeding your own? Unless people stand next to my tank and watch me throw in fish, you could never prove I ever fed live.

I think I understand the law, I just dont understand how it could ever be enforced.
It probably couldn't be enforced. Unless sombody was telling tales and you got raided at an inopportune moment. Or if someone thought it was funny to post a clip on youtube. Im sure alot of laws are the same- can't be enforced all the time.

Bottomfeeder

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Land of the flea and home of the whopper.
I appreciate the sentiment, that we're to be kind to animals and always respect life for what it is. But, this law was clearly passed by people who dont know anything about captive husbandry of fish, or probably animals of any kind. Sometimes it's necessary... (although I'd probably avoid Goldfish for other reasons)

ScottishFish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2013
Scotland
I study Marine and Freshwater Biology at University and this topic has cropped up a lot. The University deals with the home office and gets regular inspections. No vertebrates can be killed, fed or tested on without aide of a permit.

All invertebrates can be used in feeding and experiments except that of octopus. Can't quite remember if that encompassed Cephalopoda as a whole or just the octopus.

Ian21777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
England
I appreciate the sentiment, that we're to be kind to animals and always respect life for what it is. But, this law was clearly passed by people who dont know anything about captive husbandry of fish, or probably animals of any kind. Sometimes it's necessary... (although I'd probably avoid Goldfish for other reasons)
I think the point is that strictly speaking it isn't necessary. If a certain species can't be kept without feeding live and hence breaking the law, it shouldn't be kept period.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store