feeding salmon fillet to jaridini?

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I have always wondered why tilapia was what everyone suggests. I assumed it was because of bang for your buck. Are there others that would be suitable? I See basa at the grocery stores often is that ok to feed?
In the stores here it is much easier to find Pangasius (Iridescent Shark) fillets than Tilapia -- Pangasius esp. over the last years has become a bigger and bigger part of local fish industries in SEA. I'm really not sure how it compares to other fish nutritionally (and again it's just fillets), but my Aros love it cut into smaller pieces.

That said I'm also looking to add in a marine-based fish to their diet, anyone have any recommendations for a non-oily, good marine fish? How about Sea Bass or Cod?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
For myself I can get a large bag of tilapia which weights around 2kg for $10. It’s a bargain fish. I used to soak it in vitachem and feed to gars, pbass, arowanas, and rays.

You can use any type of fish to feed your fish. I would ensure it’s been frozen for at least 1 week so all parasites are dead. Stick to fish that contain white flesh as they are less oily. I used to catch and fillet all types of fish for my tanks. Often I would feed fresh with no ill effects. Catching a nice sized carp fed my fish for almost a month. I used to catch silver shiners by the thousands and freeze them in flat sheets inside large ziplock bags. There was a point when my fish were eating almost a bag a day (See pic for catching shiners). I had a dedicated freezer just got frozen foods. Where I used to live was a spawning ground for shiners. It occurred twice a year, before ice in and as soon as ice out. Near the surface were the silver shiners but if you took a dip net and went off bottom you could get the same thing pictured but with gold shiners and rudds (best pike bait there is, frozen or fresh).

View attachment 1369178

View attachment 1369179

View attachment 1369180
What are your thoughts of market shrimp, not as a staple but part of the arsenal ? I see allot of aro keepers feeding it.

Reactions: islandguy11

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
That said I'm also looking to add in a marine-based fish to their diet, anyone have any recommendations for a non-oily, good marine fish? How about Sea Bass or Cod?
Any/all seafood is fine. Fish, shrimp, mussels, whatever. Just mix it up a bit and keep in mind that certain species are more prone to having elevated levels of Thiaminase. If you feed the latter, pre-soak in liquid vitamins containing B1 a few times a week.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
In the stores here it is much easier to find Pangasius (Iridescent Shark) fillets than Tilapia -- Pangasius esp. over the last years has become a bigger and bigger part of local fish industries in SEA. I'm really not sure how it compares to other fish nutritionally (and again it's just fillets), but my Aros love it cut into smaller pieces.

I feed my orinocos something called lance fish every now and then. They are crazy about it. I buy it at my lfs as food for SW predators

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Any/all seafood is fine. Fish, shrimp, mussels, whatever. Just mix it up a bit and keep in mind that certain species are more prone to having elevated levels of Thiaminase. If you feed the latter, pre-soak in liquid vitamins containing B1 a few times a week.
Thx for input Neil. I'm currently feeding my 2 Aros (~12.5" now) daily about 40% pellets (alternating between Sianlon Arowana pellets & Hikari Food Sticks) + 60% frozen foods (alternating every day between ghost shrimp (heads cut off), (peeled) prawns, cocktail shrimp & Pangasius). Was thinking to add scallops but after doing a bit of research about Thiaminase after your mention in post, I'm not sure about that and also thinking I should reduce the shrimp/prawns and add something else that has less Thiaminase. That said, at least they're getting vitamins from the pellets, so maybe not really an issue. Once in a while I also pre-soak the shrimp in liquid vitamins.

I was also going over several different websites' lists of fish that contained Thiaminase / didn't contain Thiaminase, but it got a little frustrating as the different lists didn't always have the same listings. A discussion of these lists is probably worthy of it's own thread, but sea bass, cod, haddock and getting back to OP's query -- salmon (coho/atlantic) -- appear to be on the 'do not contain Thiaminase' list (though OP doesn't mention what kind of salmon fillets he bought).

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
If you are feeding pellets even a few times a week, they should contain enough B1 to offset any potential issues with regards to Thiaminase. If you really want to cover any potential B1 issues you can also pre-soak in vitamins, but 40% pellets should easily have you covered.

Reactions: islandguy11

Richard203

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2016
too bad my jaridini doesnt take pellet. bak then i used to feed it live feeder fish but after he got some short of disease i stopped and now im feeding it fillet talipa and cod which ever on sale. i sometimes feed it shrimp too once in awhile. all those frozen food i soak it with vitachem freshwater

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Might be a dumb or incorrect assumption on my part but from what i read aros eat allot of insects right ? So are we incorrectly feeding them too much white fish like tilapia ?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
For myself I can get a large bag of tilapia which weights around 2kg for $10. It’s a bargain fish. I used to soak it in vitachem and feed to gars, pbass, arowanas, and rays.
Tilapia fillet and raw shtimp was my go to feed after trying and being dissatisfied with other fish.They were either too messy....flaky,smelly or oily or my fish just wouldn't eat them.
J jaws7777 crickets are a good cheap addition to the feeding regimen when your jardini is big enough........roaches too!

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Tilapia fillet and raw shtimp was my go to feed after trying and being dissatisfied with other fish.They were either too messy....flaky,smelly or oily or my fish just wouldn't eat them.
J jaws7777 crickets are a good cheap addition to the feeding regimen when your jardini is big enough........roaches too!
Does anybody feed Bugbites? I use them occasionally for bug eating fish. Even Luther(pbass) eats them but he generally eats anything.
Regarding Thiaminase, I am taking a more conservative path. If I feed foods with Thiaminase I also feed pellets or sticks (as RD mentioned) + VitaChem. But I also do not feed foods with Thiaminase everyday. Try to get the gut clear of this stuff to make sure B1 is absorbed.
https://therawfeedingcommunity.com/2018/05/19/thiaminase-in-raw-fish/
Also, I am pretty sure that every flake, pellet, wafer or stick type of food contains thiamine mononitrate.
Check the label.
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/fish-food-thiamine-thiaminase.716357/page-2

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store