Feeding Tire Track eel

aydreanna

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2017
How often are you supposed to feed tire track eels? I've read anywhere from 3x a week to as much as they'll eat in one feeding. I am currently feeding mine 2-3 earthworms every day sometimes 4. He's maybe 7-8 inches long. Thanks!

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
That sounds pretty good for that size unless you just want to pump him full of a crazy amount of food to beef him up.

I would recommend getting it on some other foods if you can though. The more variety the better. My two fire eels really started growing like crazy when they started eating a ton of stuff.

Reactions: aydreanna

ocellatus

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2006
Canada
Wow, very nice patterning and contrast at 8". All mine had started to darken by that size.

I find they'll eat as much as you can give them once you've found a food they enjoy. As FTT mentioned, I'd try and diversify its food a bit though. Gives you options and a variety of nutrients to get the best growth. Also, I had one a few years ago that became addicted to live worms (red wrigglers) that I raised in a compost box. Great food, and fun to hand feed, but the TT eventually refused to take anything else.

I feed my current 14" TT once daily, and will ease back when it starts to get wide instead of long . Has yours seen much growth?

O

aydreanna

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2017
Wow, very nice patterning and contrast at 8". All mine had started to darken by that size.

I find they'll eat as much as you can give them once you've found a food they enjoy. As FTT mentioned, I'd try and diversify its food a bit though. Gives you options and a variety of nutrients to get the best growth. Also, I had one a few years ago that became addicted to live worms (red wrigglers) that I raised in a compost box. Great food, and fun to hand feed, but the TT eventually refused to take anything else.

I feed my current 14" TT once daily, and will ease back when it starts to get wide instead of long . Has yours seen much growth?

O
He was around 4 inches when I brought him home back in December. He's closer to 8-10 inches. I'm hoping he keeps his pattern.

I'm going to skip a day feeding him since he's getting wider and not so much longer. I'm going to try to see if he'll eat krill. I've tried frozen, but he won't touch it. He likes ghost shrimp, but so does everything else in the tank with him.

ocellatus

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2006
Canada
IME that's good growth over 4 months. He does have very striking contrast to his pattern, hopefully it stays.

As you can see my fella has far less contrast. This is him(?) dancing for food at the front glass :)

IMG_0210.JPG

Reactions: Chub_by

aydreanna

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2017
So, my fiancé tried feeding him Canadian night crawlers. He swallowed it and it started coming out of his one of his gills. Freaked everyone out. He (fiancé) eventually got the worm out and now he's hiding. It was a lot bigger than what I normally feed him. Should I skip feeding him tonight since he's freaked out?

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Was the night crawler actually stuck? I've seen this happen to my eels with red wigglers where they get attacked so quickly that the eel accidentally sucks them through their gill, but they got it out themselves and then went right back and ate it.

Did your fiancé actually have to reach in and pull the night crawler out?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store