Festae Cichlid Progression Thread

joegriggs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2016
very nice young male. it is a male for sure. looks to have lots of potential as well, where are they from? My pair is about to spawn, here is a picture of my male. he is WC from rio babahoyo.

View attachment 1219811
This guy's just a grow out from an LFS near me. I've had him for a while now and he's been quite the slow grower, but recently his progress has rocketed. You're male is for sure an absolute stunner. Love the intense colors he's showing. Just hope mine continues to grow like that:)

joegriggs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2016
joegriggs, What kind of tetra is that in your first photo?
How are they working out for you?
I tried a few different species with my Festae and nothing ever made it past a day before they were a snack.
Beunos Aires, but I have managed to keep some chunky Colombian Red Fins with this guy. Like Covetous said he's only around 3-3.5", so I don't think you'd see much of a problem using tetras as dithers at this stage, or at least I haven't. I've actually had the tetras pictured a while and had to move them over when I got rid of my South American biotope.

joegriggs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2016
Nice male by the way. lots of potential.
If he were the dominate fish in the tank you would see way more color out of him.
He is now and I've already seen a drastic improvement. I try to feed him a variety of foods, such as Hikari pellets (gold,staple,excel), dehydrated bloodworm, flake and some micro pellet (mainly for the tetras). Any other recommendations?

MP_cichlid

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2015
Connecticut
joegriggs joegriggs for growth, massivore delight is the best. As a staple food tho you can't go wrong with some southern delight

Reactions: joegriggs

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I use Hikari Gold. I dont have access to a lot of foods, But I do feed alot of live foods like worms and crayfish. My big guy will tear up his tank after some live crayfish. LOL! He gets them as a treat every once in a while.

Reactions: joegriggs

joegriggs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2016
joegriggs joegriggs for growth, massivore delight is the best. As a staple food tho you can't go wrong with some southern delight
Ok. My LFS don't seem to stock it, but I know it's easy enough to find online nowadays. I'll defiantly give it a go. Thanks.

I use Hikari Gold. I dont have access to a lot of foods, But I do feed alot of live foods like worms and crayfish. My big guy will tear up his tank after some live crayfish. LOL! He gets them as a treat every once in a while.
Haha, I'll defintly love to give that a go once he gets big enough. Would Signal Crayfish and Earthworms be ok?

MP_cichlid

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2015
Connecticut
You can order southern delight from Amazon or ASC, but they aren't going to be selling anything anymore after they are through with their current stock. And if signal crayfish are the normal ones then yes

joegriggs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2016
You can order southern delight from Amazon or ASC, but they aren't going to be selling anything anymore after they are through with their current stock. And if signal crayfish are the normal ones then yes
I live in England, but the rivers here are heavily populated with American Crayfish since they've pretty much culled the British variation. Should imagine it's fine. I've fished up a few Crayfish and tried them myself;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store