Filter help needed

Fancy

Feeder Fish
Jul 2, 2017
I jave a magnum 250 and every time it is eother shut off or we have lost electricity it seems to stop working, unfortunately lately with the major storms we have had some problems with the electricity going out multiple times over the past 10 days so i guess I've noticed it more. Then tonight for no reason it just stopped. I blew into the intake valve because it seemed that it only works when the canister is not totally full, but of course this is causing issues with the outake having air in it and it is sending way to much air into the tank. My ciclits are not happy at all. Any advice as to what the problem could be would be appreciated.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I jave a magnum 250 and every time it is eother shut off or we have lost electricity it seems to stop working, unfortunately lately with the major storms we have had some problems with the electricity going out multiple times over the past 10 days so i guess I've noticed it more. Then tonight for no reason it just stopped. I blew into the intake valve because it seemed that it only works when the canister is not totally full, but of course this is causing issues with the outake having air in it and it is sending way to much air into the tank. My ciclits are not happy at all. Any advice as to what the problem could be would be appreciated.

Welcome to MFK ☺ Possibility the motor may defected from the power outages. Tbh you may have to replace the motor or buy another filter. Extreme power surges can destroy motors.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Do you have any other filters available like a Hang on back? If so I suggest taking some of the media from Magnum if possible and use it so you won't lose all of your beneficial bacteria .

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Without being there it's hard to say. Does it hum or vibrate when it's not running? If it does its probably the impeller. If not it's probably the motor. Both replacable on alot of different canisters. I'm not real familiar with that one though. Probably be better to get a new one and use the bb from the old one.

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
The other thing you can try is take the impeller out and clean it. The shafts will get hair and debris wrapped around them and cause issues. Most likely you'll need to replace the filter or buy replacement parts for it as tlindsey tlindsey suggested.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store