filter sock cleaning

CrazyKoiCracker

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2018
Ideally you want to switch socks twice a week for the most effective nitrate reduction. BRS did a good study on the effectiveness compared to change schedule. Every day compared to twice a week are barely any different. But Going more than a week between changes is also almost worthless. The idea is to remove the organics before they get a chance to dissolve. Buy a set of four or eight socks and swap them every Saturday and Wednesday or something. When you’re down to the last one, turn them all inside out and toss in the washer, heavy duty, hot water, little fit of bleach if you’re comfortable with that, and then repeat the cycle.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
If it's just hydrogen peroxide (3.5%) and water, then there's no issues. After 24 hours or so of soaking in it, it just becomes water and oxygen. You will actually see bubbles the next day. I soak fish stuff like driftwood in peroxide and water if I want to use it the next day.

Tell your wife 32oz of Hydrogen Peroxide is like $1 while that seventh generation stuff is $4 for 64 oz (so twice the price).
Thx bro
She hopeless with money... smh

Reactions: twentyleagues

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Ideally you want to switch socks twice a week for the most effective nitrate reduction. BRS did a good study on the effectiveness compared to change schedule. Every day compared to twice a week are barely any different. But Going more than a week between changes is also almost worthless. The idea is to remove the organics before they get a chance to dissolve. Buy a set of four or eight socks and swap them every Saturday and Wednesday or something. When you’re down to the last one, turn them all inside out and toss in the washer, heavy duty, hot water, little fit of bleach if you’re comfortable with that, and then repeat the cycle.
Agree with this.

I have 4 drains and rotate between 20 socks.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Yup good old bleach is fine. Chlorine will off gas after a small amount of time I wash my socks when I down to the last pair and 3-5 days later its all good. I have done the same in saltwater too no issues, and I had thousands in fish and corals.
I agree with that 7th gen stuff being a rip off regular hydrogen peroxide is way cheaper and same stuff. Its a good product but bleach is way more effective.

Reactions: BichirKing
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store