Filter Sock Conversion

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Sorry for the derail Fish Tank Travis Fish Tank Travis

Anyone use this product to clean their socks ? Wife stopped buying bleach. Seems to be hydrogen peroxide and water. duanes duanes

Glad you had enough room to keep all of the socks btw

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
Sorry for the derail Fish Tank Travis Fish Tank Travis

Anyone use this product to clean their socks ? Wife stopped buying bleach. Seems to be hydrogen peroxide and water. duanes duanes
View attachment 1365057
View attachment 1365059

Glad you had enough room to keep all of the socks btw
Clorox for me. Single rinse no declorinator after, fishes seems fine forever. That stuff seems fancy

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Clorox for me. Single rinse no declorinator after, fishes seems fine forever. That stuff seems fancy
Yeah smh SHE THINKS SHES fancy. I used to use bleach too but the women is on some chemical thing lately.

Reactions: Dloks

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Well, I already had to replace the two main ones in about a day. I’m hoping they just got clogged quickly because of all the funk that came out into the tank when I was pulling out my old sponges and floss, because replacing these everyday will get pretty old. Lol. I’ll see how long this next set lasts before needing replacement. I might need to order more and just plan on washing them every weekend. Lol

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I just turn them inside out and wash them in hot water. No bleach or anything. They aren't pearly white, but that's fine. It's a filter, and only needs to do it's job.
I did something similar, I turned it inside out and hosed it off in my driveway. That seemed to clean it pretty well, but took some effort and I got a bit wet. Lol. I will probably try the washing machine method. I basically have three full sets, so I should be able to go for at least two weeks between washes.

I will update again after I do my water change this weekend, but for now, here’s how things are going:

I am still on the second set of filter socks. I think that the first set got clogged up very quickly because of all of the stuff that came out of my old filter sponges and floss when I removed them. I’ll be honest, I did not do as good of maintenance as I should have with the sponges and floss, so they were probably in there near 1.5-2 months. When I removed them, my whole tank turned brown because of everything that fell out of them while I was getting them out. This is probably what caused the first filter socks to clog so quickly. I have definitely noticed a big improvement in my tank’s water clearity. So far, this has been a great upgrade. I am hoping that the filter socks will last for at least a week so I can just change them out during my weekly water change. I plan on changing the water, giving the tank a day to clear up, and then switching to new filter socks. That way the new ones don’t get all clogged up from me stirring up the sand during the water change. Then, every two weeks I will have two sets to run through the washer with some bleach. I might eventually get more so that I don’t have to wash them as much. I sure wish I would’ve done this from the beginning. Lol

Reactions: twentyleagues

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I usually keep 3 for each outfall.
1 attached to the outflow pipe to the sump
1 clean, dry, and ready to go
1 soaking in a bucket of bleach
I used to hose and squeeze them out, but found they didn't last as long as I would like, before coming apart at the seams, or just getting holes.
If I got 2 days use on the outflow before tossing in a bucket of diluted bleach, I considered myself lucky

TexasMFK31

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2017
I did something similar, I turned it inside out and hosed it off in my driveway. That seemed to clean it pretty well, but took some effort and I got a bit wet. Lol. I will probably try the washing machine method. I basically have three full sets, so I should be able to go for at least two weeks between washes.

I will update again after I do my water change this weekend, but for now, here’s how things are going:

I am still on the second set of filter socks. I think that the first set got clogged up very quickly because of all of the stuff that came out of my old filter sponges and floss when I removed them. I’ll be honest, I did not do as good of maintenance as I should have with the sponges and floss, so they were probably in there near 1.5-2 months. When I removed them, my whole tank turned brown because of everything that fell out of them while I was getting them out. This is probably what caused the first filter socks to clog so quickly. I have definitely noticed a big improvement in my tank’s water clearity. So far, this has been a great upgrade. I am hoping that the filter socks will last for at least a week so I can just change them out during my weekly water change. I plan on changing the water, giving the tank a day to clear up, and then switching to new filter socks. That way the new ones don’t get all clogged up from me stirring up the sand during the water change. Then, every two weeks I will have two sets to run through the washer with some bleach. I might eventually get more so that I don’t have to wash them as much. I sure wish I would’ve done this from the beginning. Lol

My sump has a place for 3 socks, I think I have a total of 24 socks or something. So I only need to launder them every month or so approximately. Some of the OG ones I had are falling apart though and need to be retired/replaced.

This has been the best brand I have used.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store