Filtering a 500 gallon tank

rayman45

Team Rayman
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
staten island new york
Phatboy said:
Designing this system takes time and careful planning, because you would not want flooded floors or systems failing to do the work.

We may need more details (perhaps even a simple sketch) of the system in order to better understand how will work.
i always draw a plan b4 i bulid anything for a tank
think of every thing that can go wrong

bill hundt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 1, 2005
that is why i said to go to pentair they can make a filter to fit any size tank

slapper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2005
Mpls MN
I'm getting a 120 gallon wide acrylic in about a month or 2 and I'm going to do the same filter system on that one. I'll post pics. A few intakes on the bottom going to a 1200 to 1500 gallon pump then a large canister and finally to bioballs above the tank.

Jesse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
The main problem with a gravity return is that the sump must be placed above the aquarium--an arrangement that your wife would likely find aesthetically unpleasing. I'd run a standard wet/dry with around a 80 to 100 gallon sump located in the stand--much cleaner looking, IMO.

guesswho2005

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 10, 2005
Medowlakes,Alaska
slapper said:
I want the water well filtered mechanically before it hits the bioballs but am still unsure of the best way to go about it.Is anyone familiar with bead filters used for swimming pools and ponds. As far as circulation, I think pulling 3000 gph from the bottom and returning it to the top will provide plenty.
I have several designs for bead filters and I have seen a couple here on this site. Good luck and send pics building a rather large tank myself and would been very interested in anything you come with. If you would like to see some of the things I've been working on to get ready for my set-up PM me.

rayman45

Team Rayman
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
staten island new york
do u have pics of your idea?
like a m/s paint draxing?

btw did u get my last pm

sephir420

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
i would recomend against the gravity feed filter with it above the tank. we have tride that and it was more problematic. i would say a sump would be a much better idea.

slapper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2005
Mpls MN
After much thought I've decided that my gravity return Idea is flawed. Running the water through cartrige filters before the bioballs would cause inconsistant flow (circulation and oxygenation) for the tank because the filters would rapidly clog. Also the food source (ammonia) for the bioballs would not be constant causing cycling. I just picked up a 120 gallon today which has slits cut in the bottom of the overflow to take in water along with the normal top skimmer. I'm still going to use a cartrige filter by pulling water from and returning it back to the sump which will indirectly purify the water going to the bioballs. I've also decided not to build the big tank. The guy who built my 120 gave me a great price on a 600 gallon (4'x8'x30'' tall and he's local. Thanks everyone for the input.

slapper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2005
Mpls MN
guesswho2005 said:
I have several designs for bead filters and I have seen a couple here on this site. Good luck and send pics building a rather large tank myself and would been very interested in anything you come with. If you would like to see some of the things I've been working on to get ready for my set-up PM me.
Do you know how a bead filter works because i dont. Is it biological or mechanical or both. If it's mechanical, how small of a partical does it filter?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store