Filtering a 500 gallon tank

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
slapper said:
Do you know how a bead filter works because i dont. Is it biological or mechanical or both. If it's mechanical, how small of a partical does it filter?

Its biological. Going back to your original plan, i think putting drains at the bottom
is dangerous. Imagine if something was to go wrong all the water in your tank could potentially go out of the tank, into the sump and could eventually end up on the floor.

It could be a costly disaster. I would stick with an overflow.

PeacockBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2005
icthyophile said:
The main problem with a gravity return is that the sump must be placed above the aquarium--an arrangement that your wife would likely find aesthetically unpleasing. I'd run a standard wet/dry with around a 80 to 100 gallon sump located in the stand--much cleaner looking, IMO.

to small!! 200 gallons would be better!!!

Haha!

PeacockBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2005
there is no need for something fancy.

Its ALL about media volume and media usage.

40-50 gallons of media would perfect. WITH a 200 gallon sump.

That would be a phat set up.

slapper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2005
Mpls MN
shovelnose said:
:topic: i'm curious about the tank building do you have plans? i'm thinking of building a 300 or so if it's not too challenging. :feedback:
garf.org is a good site for a plywood tank but I dont agree with jointing plywood to plywood at a 90 degree angle. The joint isn't very strong. Much better to use quality 2x2's on all inside corners. aquaticeco.com is a good place to get the paint.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store