Filtration for 120 gallon

Longimanus

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2009
BC, Canada
Ok, so the 120 tank I am getting comes with an FX5. I plan to use it, would it be major overkill to run the FX5 with TWO XP3's? Or should I just do the FX5 and ONE XP3? I could fill the FX5 with bio and run mechanical on the XP3's? Or one of them anyway?

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
Probably the Poly section
I run a single fx5 on my 125. I would do the mech in the fx5 and the bio in the xp3. If you want to run both xp3's you could. Just do bio in both and turn the flow down if possible. The fx5 is pretty violent inside. Not the best for bio in my experience. Mine is mostly mech and chem filtration. Lots of different foam densities and then different filter bags in the baskets with chem media.

Longimanus

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2009
BC, Canada
Thanks everyone for the advice. My 120 is now set up, and I chose to run the FX5 and both XP3's. The flow does not seem to be too much for any of my fish, even the small ones. I have bio and mech in both of my XP3's, and the FX5 came with the sponges around the baskets, and bio media inside the baskets. I plan to add more bio media to FX5 as it has one empty basket, and add more mechanical to at least one of the XP3's, so one will be all sponges. The XP3's are WAY easier to manage when cleaning, so I think using those for mech will be much less of a headache than taking the FX5 apart to deal with clogged polishing sponges.

TANK.jpg

TANK2.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store