Filtration for Heavy BioLoad....

stingray keeper

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2013
Canada
Can I get the moreexperienced Ray keepers to input on their preferred methods of filtration for heavybio loads? Whether it is chemical, mechanical, or just simple old biological.As we all know Stingrays create a great deal of waste and yet are one of themost sensitive species of fish to poor water conditions; thus making raykeeping very difficult to some, especially the new comers. I personally am inthe process of adding a Phosban reactor to accommodate Pura Complete Media, anda Fluidized Bed Filter to my already existing biological filtration which isnow struggling to keep up with the demand. Thanks to all who input on thistopic I am sure it will help out many other people. Thank god for MFK!!!

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Wow I am amazed at how many people have not responded to this, especially with all the people here that love filtration and hate it all at the same time. Lots of people will agree that a Fluidized Bed Filter is a great idea to setup, also an option is building a reactor to tie into the system, My question is you said you have found that your system is not keeping up with the population in the tank. Are your nitrates high? What is off that is making you feel that your setup is not keeping up at this point so we can get an idea of what might help best, Maybe the real key is more water change or what. Symptoms to better know changes is a good place to start. Allot of great help here and many ideas with filtration you will just have to find what works best for you after getting all the advice.

Can I get the moreexperienced Ray keepers to input on their preferred methods of filtration for heavybio loads? Whether it is chemical, mechanical, or just simple old biological.As we all know Stingrays create a great deal of waste and yet are one of themost sensitive species of fish to poor water conditions; thus making raykeeping very difficult to some, especially the new comers. I personally am inthe process of adding a Phosban reactor to accommodate Pura Complete Media, anda Fluidized Bed Filter to my already existing biological filtration which isnow struggling to keep up with the demand. Thanks to all who input on thistopic I am sure it will help out many other people. Thank god for MFK!!!

stingray keeper

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2013
Canada
Thanks for your reply. I'm noticing a smell and an ammonia level of .5ppm. nothing else but this but i do know that as time goes on and all of my fish mature that i will run into problems. I have an Auto water change set up and its is changing out about 30-40 gallons a day (300 gal tank)and replacing with brand new RO/DI water in which is remineralized etc to the appropriate level. My tank is foggy to a point and is not clearing up. Im figuring a bacterial bloom. Last night i notice the rays to be breathing heavier than usual so i added an air pump with a large airstone over night. I am feeding heavily to get the female fattend up but whatever food they dont eat other tank mates clean up so there is no rotting food. just lots of consumed food. I am running a proflex 4 sump from aqueon with a mag 24 pump. means im pumping 8 times my total volume per hour but to be safe id say 6-7 times due to head height etc. All comments are more than welcome here. Thanks

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
Read your post on stocking level: The 300 DD 72x36x27 would do. i got that but have a cap on the # of monsters im putting in. 2 Henlei rays, 1 silver Arowanna, 2 semaphochilodus, 2 red severums, 12-18 discus, 1 black ghost knife, 1 fire eel, synodontis and some oddy plecos. maybe a couple others but the filtration really needs to be up to handing this load. best thing is setting up automatic water changes on a drip. youll never need to touch it. and make sure its a sump filter. circulate 8x total volume of water. but ya nice tank!

With that many fish and your heavy feeding to fatten them up, you are going to need way more filtration.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
I agree completly, Filter socks are great at keeping everything filtered out and keeping the water clear, just keep up with keeping them clean. Add a good bio setup and you will be set. Nice to see you have auto water changes. I do not run a reactor myself but am thinking of building one just to see if it adds anything to my tank, I do like my pond matrix as bio media in my sump. Best thing is that your already thinking of making changes to filtration as everything grows, thats the main thing you need to do is just change as needed and add when you feel you need to add to it.

Filter socks for mechanical and a bioreactor is all u need. KISS

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

stingray keeper

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2013
Canada
Yes i am switching out my 3 socks every few days. ive got 4 sets. The matrix is a very good product. i'm a sales rep for a large aquatic company in canada so my knowledge on products is very good im just getting used to the monster aspect of the hobby. ive always had aquariums but nothing to this scale. lol im sure that my modification to my filtration with the addition of the reactor and fluidized bed filter will greatly help. You guys are great. i love the support that MFK offers. such an amazing group here.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store