Filtration for Heavy BioLoad....

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
As for not needing a UV I think that's rubbish

If you have a mixed comm tank other fish can get ick or other parasites even if rays can't as rays can't handle meds then its just safer to have the UV just like with a power backup there is no point getting one after you lose your whole tank

Also if you have breeding rays that bite a lot then a UV stops the bites getting infected

I have had a lot of rays with bad damage and never had the need to add salt

I keep my rays in a high temp and UV all the time and never needed to add salt

Look at this damage a male done I never done anything and it healed up find within a month no infection

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
uv on my pond cost about £35.00 does a fantastic job and i use cheap bulbs ( but you have to replace them more often... that said they only have to last 6 mths anyhow so the cheap ones are fine )

the light output isnt great visibly but i realise that you cant see all uv light and only a small amount of the uv spectrum is visible (and not necessarily the one thats useful for killing bacteria / clumping algae )

you get what you pay for to a reasonable extent ( a longer life span in terms of useful life of the lamp ...it might stay light or even be bright blue but at that point might not be very useful if at all. just because its lit doesnt mean its working effectivley ) but you get ripped off if you go too far.

most expensive lamp + most expensive housing is what it boils down to and if your willing to pay the most expensive prices for these then good for you but you can usually get the most expensive at good prices if you research and you can get good quality for even better prices and if you want to go further you can so long as you get something fit for purpose.

that said i dont think UV's are necessary for standard tanks or even standard ray tanks and see little point.
so many people have big success without using UV that i think if you actually NEED to use UV then you are possibly doing something wrong to start with.

there is a different dosage for clearing up green water, and sterilizing.. ( i think)
I have bought one of these fancy UV from wlim, but my tank is not as big as some of the guys here, but my UV was not crazy expensive. IMO it was cheap, for the health of my rays. I have noticed a difference but did not buy it because i had cloudy water or an algae problem. my water has always been clear. I see a difference in my rays appearence, and the activity in my rays...
I agree, that in order to know that your UV dosage is correct, it needs to be sized by a professional. Otherwise you are guessing. Your guess may be close, or may not.
I know the package of these cheap pod UV's will say 9w and run 1200 gph thru them, will treat 1k gallons. BS it will not sterilize at that dosage.

Rtm101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2012
uk
I have a 72x26x24 tank with 3 rays there only about 7in big the filters I use are a 4ft sump with 5 champers full of filter media aqua o-zone uv sterilizer korallin reactor for nitrate will be building a big tank once extension done then I will use a pressure bin filter with a BBF 1

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
there is a different dosage for clearing up green water, and sterilizing.. ( i think)
I have bought one of these fancy UV from wlim, but my tank is not as big as some of the guys here, but my UV was not crazy expensive. IMO it was cheap, for the health of my rays. I have noticed a difference but did not buy it because i had cloudy water or an algae problem. my water has always been clear. I see a difference in my rays appearence, and the activity in my rays...
I agree, that in order to know that your UV dosage is correct, it needs to be sized by a professional. Otherwise you are guessing. Your guess may be close, or may not.
I know the package of these cheap pod UV's will say 9w and run 1200 gph thru them, will treat 1k gallons. BS it will not sterilize at that dosage.
What do you.class as a professional
A sales man for a company that sells high priced units a guy that works in a fish shop at weekends or someone that has been running a system for 20 years

If everything that looks great on paper is the best and that's ALL the proof you need just because some scientist tells you so then hikari pellets are the best and that's all you should be feeding as they have been make by a scientist and on paper they are the best food for rays

You can't go shouting about how good something is on paper unless you stick to that rule when it suits you

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
A sales man for a company that sells high priced units a guy that works in a fish shop at weekends or someone that has been running a system for 20 years

If everything that looks great on paper is the best and that's ALL the proof you need just because some scientist tells you so then hikari pellets are the best and that's all you should be feeding as they have been make by a scientist and on paper they are the best food for rays

You can't go shouting about how good something is on paper unless you stick to that rule when it suits you

Richard, the more i read your posts, i think there is no sense in talking any further about it, as we are all saying the same thing. You said that your UV cost you about the same as these WLIM's do, but the difference is when you bought yours you hoped it was going to work, and i KNew mine was going to.
Mine was designed for my tank saw the numbers, and mine was $250...

Oh and i did not just believe some sales man, i was referred from a couple mkf'ers who are breeding rays very successfully. and they both told me they have tried others and it didnt compare.

STINGRAYED

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2012
us

LOL!!!! you do what ya Want T1 the Guy DB and Keep are talking about is an engineer Yes he works with a company .The computer program he runs to match dosage does not know what "team" he plays for so to speak LOL!!! the proper Dosage is just that ya PHat Head LOL!!!!:nilly::nilly::nilly::nilly::nilly:Now you can take that "CORRECT " dosage and buy whichever "Brand" Name you want to reach the dosage that is required it does not matter for goooooooooodness sake all that matters is you reach the dosage required for a good "KILL" rate that is all everbody is saying !!!!!!WOW Just WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!The GUY these men is talking about is Just a good man with a good heart trying to Help fellow hobbiest And sadly who knows how long any of us have before for 1 reason or another we all have to hang it up.....

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
LOL!!!! you do what ya Want T1 the Guy DB and Keep are talking about is an engineer Yes he works with a company .The computer program he runs to match dosage does not know what "team" he plays for so to speak LOL!!! the proper Dosage is just that ya PHat Head LOL!!!!:nilly::nilly::nilly::nilly::nilly:Now you can take that "CORRECT " dosage and buy whichever "Brand" Name you want to reach the dosage that is required it does not matter for goooooooooodness sake all that matters is you reach the dosage required for a good "KILL" rate that is all everbody is saying !!!!!!WOW Just WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!The GUY these men is talking about is Just a good man with a good heart trying to Help fellow hobbiest And sadly who knows how long any of us have before for 1 reason or another we all have to hang it up.....
Very well said.

This UV stuff is no different then speaker box building programs. It's software that crunches numbers. Trained people look at the numbers and know the results. The program could care less who's speakers are being used. Use that program enough and maybe you could use the knowledge gained from all the results to build something that is superior to what you compare day in and day out?

This is a blessing for us in the hobby right here in front of us and I don't understand why it's so friggin hard to understand that everythings changed so much over the last 20 years that what worked back then still works today, but technology has taken almost everything and improved it.

Proof is in the pups........ One of the nicest Marble pups and one of the nicest blackie mutts I've ever seen pics of were coincidently both bred by a firm believer in these UVs. That alone is what led me to this company and the man that answered my questions is the one that sold me on the company. No other manufacturer has taken the time to crunch my numbers and recommend me a UV that will work best in my situation. I've had many many questions regarding filtration and UV answered and I still continue to get answers and I haven't even bought anything yet. It's really too bad there aren't more people and companies out there like this.

Tor-Eriik

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2010
Norway
As for not needing a UV I think that's rubbish

If you have a mixed comm tank other fish can get ick or other parasites even if rays can't as rays can't handle meds then its just safer to have the UV just like with a power backup there is no point getting one after you lose your whole tank

Also if you have breeding rays that bite a lot then a UV stops the bites getting infected

I have had a lot of rays with bad damage and never had the need to add salt

I keep my rays in a high temp and UV all the time and never needed to add salt

Look at this damage a male done I never done anything and it healed up find within a month no infection

Just have to post in on that one, ive had rays damaged alot worse then that, missing 1 cm around whole disk. No salt, no UVS, just alot of clean water, never seen any il effects on these either.. You will come along way with clean water (as you add alot of).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store