Filtration Help

Damascus

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2020
Hello all,

I recently acquired a 300 acrylic set up that I will be using for my silver arowana and stingrays. I currently have an FX6, and a 20 gallon long sump.

I am aware that this is not enough for what I want to stock, however am in a bit of a bind. The system is attached to the stand, and there is no way for me to fit a bigger sump underneath or remove the 20 from underneath due to the size of the access doors. It appears the sump was put in, and then the stand finished around it, sealing it inside. The stand is acrylic as well and cannot be taken apart.
The 20 gallon currently has my heaters and UV sterilizers, as well as a small wet dry filter holding about 2.8 gallons of bio-balls and some sponge media acting as a mechanical filter.

I cannot tear the system down and attempt to separate the 2 because my rays are arriving from abroad quicker than expected and the system is already cycled. With the rays arriving within the week, I cannot risk the system not being ready for them. The sump is running 1700GPH through it, but I do not feel there is enough media to support my eventual bioload, and I am unsure if I can add a baffle to house more media in a system that is already running.

I am satisfied that it will be enough for the pups alone for a while but am unsure of how to build onto this system in a way that is cost effective, can work in my weird set up and is compact.

Please advise

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello all,

I recently acquired a 300 acrylic set up that I will be using for my silver arowana and stingrays. I currently have an FX6, and a 20 gallon long sump.

I am aware that this is not enough for what I want to stock, however am in a bit of a bind. The system is attached to the stand, and there is no way for me to fit a bigger sump underneath or remove the 20 from underneath due to the size of the access doors. It appears the sump was put in, and then the stand finished around it, sealing it inside. The stand is acrylic as well and cannot be taken apart.
The 20 gallon currently has my heaters and UV sterilizers, as well as a small wet dry filter holding about 2.8 gallons of bio-balls and some sponge media acting as a mechanical filter.

I cannot tear the system down and attempt to separate the 2 because my rays are arriving from abroad quicker than expected and the system is already cycled. With the rays arriving within the week, I cannot risk the system not being ready for them. The sump is running 1700GPH through it, but I do not feel there is enough media to support my eventual bioload, and I am unsure if I can add a baffle to house more media in a system that is already running.

I am satisfied that it will be enough for the pups alone for a while but am unsure of how to build onto this system in a way that is cost effective, can work in my weird set up and is compact.

Please advise
Have you thought about possibly adding a larger Sump on the side or back of aquarium?

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
While expensive could you not add more fx6’s on the sides?

Damascus

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2020
I picked up an HW-3000 today that is rated for 3000 L/Hour from my LFS. I was going to use it for a different project, but can easily add this to this system. I currently have it on my 150 holding tank for the majority of fish that will be going into this 300. I am just unsure if this is enough long-term

Damascus

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2020
Have you thought about possibly adding a larger Sump on the side or back of aquarium?
It is in an area of the house where it is set into the wall where a bar used to be. I would not have the space to do this

Damascus

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2020
It is in an area of the house where it is set into the wall where a bar used to be. I would not have the space to do this
I have about 10" of space behind the system that I may be able to do something with, but I am not creative. I remember seeing another member build a fluidized sand filter out of clear 8" pipe but I am not creative enough to even attempt to build something like this without a build plan. again, unsure if this would work

Damascus

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2020
Ultima 2 or the like would be an easy option. A larger sump before your 20g would work too. Pics under and around the tank? Those may help.
Would not have space to run something like this. I can post pictures of beneath the stand sometime tomorrow as I am just starting my shift for tonight

Damascus

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2020
I am also experimenting with pothos as well, and have about a dozen well rooted cuttings in the sump. Will probably not do much long term but may help a bit when the bioload is small. If there is a way to add baffles, I have a bunch of media I can pack into the sump. I know this is definitely not sized right, but the tank was drilled with an overflow to where I had to run a sump and can not replace it. Is there a way to add baffles into a running sump? Maybe I can maximize its use at the very least and fit another large canister or 2 below the stand?

Reactions: fishhead0103666

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I will mimic what a well experienced member mentions all the time. It's not always about filtration water changes at the proper % and time helps definitely.

Reactions: twentyleagues
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store