Finally hatched palembangensis

erythrinus

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2011
california
I wasn’t really expecting it and have no baby brine or other micro foods.
I tossed in some frozen daphnia but I doubt that will do it. Anyone have experience with these? They’ve laid eggs at least 6 times so I’m sure I’ll get more; I’d like to prepare for next time.
The parents are part of a group of 7 with a dominant male and female - the others hang around….
I feed them only insects

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Congratulations. See how it turns out.

erythrinus

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2011
california
If I can get them to eat anything. They’re cute and active, but the size of a poppyseed. For once the male saw it through and fanned them. I think they need a horizontal slate to lay on. The old spot was pitched and somehow the eggs would fail. The male is pissed I stole his brood….

Reactions: Deadeye

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
The young fry don’t seem interested in frozen brine shrimp from my experience...

so if you can i would get 2 brine shrimp hatcheries going the next time you see eggs... this way you can set them up on different days so you always have very small BBS to feed the offspring...

naturally a air driven filtered tank to raise the fry will also be ideal so they don’t get swooshed around the tank too much by any flow from a more traditional filter...

Anyway, congrats on having a breeding pair of palembangs, im sure there will be plenty more fry in the future judging by what you’ve said...

erythrinus

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2011
california
So the fry are still alive. I got a pack of the de shelled baby brine (instant brine shrimp) and have been tossing those in. It’s been 5 days and they are all alive. I’m going out to find brine shrimp eggs today. The tank is choked with plants from my other aquariums which may have some edible stuff licking on them.
How long would the fry survive if not eating?
I’ll be better prepared last time but they still look really good and are very active.

3922A447-BBA3-482A-8AEA-FF201BA9AB85.jpeg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So the fry are still alive. I got a pack of the de shelled baby brine (instant brine shrimp) and have been tossing those in. It’s been 5 days and they are all alive. I’m going out to find brine shrimp eggs today. The tank is choked with plants from my other aquariums which may have some edible stuff licking on them.
How long would the fry survive if not eating?
I’ll be better prepared last time but they still look really good and are very active.

View attachment 1462195
Congrats!!! Tbh don't have any experience with Puffer fry but surviving 5 days is awesome. I believe they are eating the decapsulated Brine Shrimp eggs and also finding microorganisms like you stated on the plants.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Weird thing is they are already quite quarrelsome and spend a lot of time fighting with each other….I have yet to see one eat anything though…
?
I know after Cichlid fry absorb the egg sac they must have food or they will perish after a day or so. Good thing you put plants in the aquarium. Do you have a Magnifying Glass on hand?

erythrinus

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2011
california
all my tanks are heavily planted so I’ve been tossing in a clump from different ones every day. I didn’t really think they would live and was working long days so have no brine shrimp hatchery. I’m going to make one today but that will take some time…

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
all my tanks are heavily planted so I’ve been tossing in a clump from different ones every day. I didn’t really think they would live and was working long days so have no brine shrimp hatchery. I’m going to make one today but that will take some time…
If you notice them eating the decapsulated Brine Shrimp eggs that would be better than hatching .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store