Finally hatched palembangensis

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Iirc they can at most survive between 7-10 days from hatching without food... maybe 14 days if they are really tough....

Reactions: tlindsey

erythrinus

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2011
california
I don’t think they can get the brine shrimp in their mouths. I now have live ones too but they look like they can’t swallow. My guess is they’re subsiding on infusoria from the plants. All still alive and active though…

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I don’t think they can get the brine shrimp in their mouths. I now have live ones too but they look like they can’t swallow. My guess is they’re subsiding on infusoria from the plants. All still alive and active though…
Great to hear that the fry are feeding on infusoria.

erythrinus

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2011
california
One more observation to those who manage to spawn this species. I found 12 fry in the parents tank. They are notably skinnier than the group but very much alive. I do not think the parents eat their young. The one other fish in the tank, a datnoid, also seems uninterested…

Last edited:

erythrinus

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2011
california
Lastly, the datnoid has been with the group of puffers for a few weeks, and they have not nipped once. This demonstrates palembangensis can be kept in a community, something I have long suspected.
I think that they are primarily insectivores. Mine live on earthworms, mealworms and roaches, with the occasional feeder. They’re fat and obviously comfortable enough to spawn.

erythrinus

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2011
california
Well, they all seem still alive and eating baby brine. Guess at this point it’ll take a long time to get them to a good size. I cant keep count due to the tank being planted, but I think most are still alive. I’ll get pics when they’re big enough to capture….

Reactions: Fat Homer

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Congrats on getting them this far… should be as you said just a waiting game now till they start putting on some size…

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store