Finally Jau!

Mitchell The Monster

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2016
Georgia
Impossible for a fish to grow that fast....I CALL BLASPHAMY!!!!
But holy cow that thing is awesome. Congrats and good luck keeping all your fingers.

Reactions: Fishman Dave

Rpul

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2016
Growth has slowed down after 4”. Still growing at a steady speed.
Now 6” after 3 months. Finally taking dead foods. (Prawn & mussles)

Soon to be moved into the larger grow out tank.

Has killed or ate everything it’s been in with it so far. I’ll see if he clams down in a larger environment. If not, I’ll have to rehome it in the future.

D1274FB9-3C16-4F18-BDD3-EFFB966027E2.jpeg

BDC56210-04C9-4B1D-8227-1E1999159A58.jpeg

8110F3E0-BF7A-402F-9FBA-B255A0124B95.jpeg

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Nice. Thanks for that. Wow.

Has killed or ate everything it’s been in with it so far.
Has this all occurred in one tank over the mentioned 3 months? Restate the tank size, please. Fetch a list with approx. sizes of the jau at the time and the victims, please, if you will, at some point. That'd be educational.

Rpul

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2016
Nice. Thanks for that. Wow.

Has this all occurred in one tank over the mentioned 3 months? Restate the tank size, please. Fetch a list with approx. sizes of the jau at the time and the victims, please, if you will, at some point. That'd be educational.
Straight away, he prayed on the small fish. I expected this, atleast he was eatting. What I didn’t expect was a 4” jau to eat 4” Brycon, 3 of them infact. Along with killing two 4” deep bodied corydoras. He’s also worked his way through over 150 Minnows.

There’s not much to report after that, as he was on his own apart from a pimmodlous sp that’s 5”. He has removed the tail from that though. It has been moved now. Just shear aggression, meaningless killing.

I believe the grow out tank is 95L,

Next week he shall enter the lager grow out tank via a devider for the first few days whilst I’m away, I’ll let him free once back and I can keep an eye on him. It’s like having a wyckii.

Someone who else, who has kept jau before and had one of these from the same batch. Commented on how aggressive his was also.
I will try to find out some more info from his side.

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Wow again. That's some serious start to someone's biography.

I can't say our jaus were that vicious when they were small, I don't think they were but their tanks had been bigger, 120 gal the smallest... but between 1' and 2' they killed plenty of tankmates too in a 500, 1000, and 1500 gal ponds, not every day or week but monthly or every now and then.

In a 120 gal tank, I couldn't keep for long a jau and a TSNxLei hybrid at about 10" each as both attacked each other but jau was winning, if memory serves.

And in our 4500 gal, they are the main culprit behind most damage to their tankmates, and needless to say to themselves too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store