Finding more information on silver Arowana.

Jayoco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2018
Calgary
Hey guys. I’m new here because iv just bought a fish that iv wanted for a long time iv read up and googled and know what I’m in for and what to expect. But I would like more information if possible. I have a silver Arowana it’s 5” in size so no problems yet currently in a 30 gallon tank but I will be purchasing a min 190 gallon I’m not new to fish keeping or tanks iv had them all my life except for the past 2 years so the 30 gallon is a start up. I’m wondering what would be good to keep with the Arowana. At the moment it’s in with 2 jack Dempsey’s (pair) two male fire mouths that I got left with and 2 insexed red tail sharks. They will be staying in the 30 gallon unless they get buff or the Arowana becomes pals with them. Can’t see any of that happening but i can wish. Anyway I was thinking ghost knife black fish. Rope snake (eel) clown loach and maybe try a elephant nose but keeping an eye on the ghost knife black fish. If anyone has any suggestions on what’s bad about this or what would compliment the Arowana but I want the tank to be built around the Arowana. Plus what’s a good clean up crew? Thanks all and hope to become a part of this awesom form.

Davidiator

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
At home
I have a black ghost knifefish and i just want to tell you to get ready to practically never see him... They are just fine right now but neither is full grown so i can't tell you about long term. As for a clean up crew i would recommend clownloachs they are about the only clean up fish that get big enough to be with an arowana.

Reactions: Jayoco

Jayoco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2018
Calgary
Thankyou for your reply davidiator. Yeah I’m expecting that from the ghost knife fish but they are wonderful looking fish that again iv allways wanted and when I get the new tank set up I’ll be happy to see them now and then because I’m hoping to build my dream tank. Without creating any problems for the fish. I was hoping to have a bare minimal tank white sand black background few rocks and plastic plants just enough for any shy fish to be unsociable. Hence the clean up crew I want to keep the sand white between bi weekly water changes and sand vac.

Jayoco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2018
Calgary
Thankyou. Not yet looking on purchasing it in about two months then start setting it up get the filters running with some 30 gallon tank water to let the bacteria build up and stuff Dont know if that’s a thing you have to do I just like to do it when changing tanks. I’d say do the change in about 5 months tops depending on the rate the Arowana grows. But to be honest I don’t know how quick the growth rate is.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Thankyou. Not yet looking on purchasing it in about two months then start setting it up get the filters running with some 30 gallon tank water to let the bacteria build up and stuff Dont know if that’s a thing you have to do I just like to do it when changing tanks. I’d say do the change in about 5 months tops depending on the rate the Arowana grows. But to be honest I don’t know how quick the growth rate is.

I commend you for being honest and very happy you joined this wonderful forum. You are in a real situation due to the fast growth of the Aro. I suggest you try getting the 190 gal asap. Tbh the 30 gal is too small for a 5 inch Aro. As for adding water from the 30 gal to the new aquarium the water will have really no bio bacteria in it. The bio bacteria will adhere itself to bio media, driftwood, ornaments, gravel and even on the glass of the aquarium. Most of us take some of the bio media from the cycled filter and add it to the new filter to jump start the Nitrifying Cycle.

Jayoco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2018
Calgary
Sorry I ment run the filter on the 30 gallon not take water from the 30 gallon to the tank. I was hoping it wouldn’t need to be that soon because I’m working out of town for a few weeks so once I get home I’ll get into the purchase of it. Don’t worry the fish are being looked after by the wife while I’m working. The tank I have now iv put the sand in a little too much to be honest for the reason you say. it’s the same sand I will be putting in the 190 gallon to bring over bacteria. Here’s the tank and Arowana I have now.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Sorry I ment run the filter on the 30 gallon not take water from the 30 gallon to the tank. I was hoping it wouldn’t need to be that soon because I’m working out of town for a few weeks so once I get home I’ll get into the purchase of it. Don’t worry the fish are being looked after by the wife while I’m working. The tank I have now iv put the sand in a little too much to be honest for the reason you say. it’s the same sand I will be putting in the 190 gallon to bring over bacteria. Here’s the tank and Arowana I have now.

I think you have 5 post if you have problems uploading your pic.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I think you have 5 post if you have problems uploading your pic.
Oh ok great the Aro looks nice and healthy before I forget make sure you cover all openings and when the Aro gets larger put weight on the lids Silver Aro's are natural jumpers.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store