Finding more information on silver Arowana.

Jayoco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2018
Calgary
Oh yes I went round with the black duct tape taped the lid on and every hole at the back just a half inch slot for the filter water to get in. If it makes it out their it deserves to walk the world as a human. I had a gar in the past that kept me on my toes plus a grass snake that I never seen again so I’m a little cautious. When I get the new tank I’m gunna make the stand and a cover lid to match furniture plus I have 3 kids. Explains itself really. So while I have you the fish I’m considering in the thread do you think they would be ok? And is their any others that would suit the Arowana better that I can corporate. Or even any decor it likes? Google can only go so far I’d rather ask the people who know. And thankyou for all your reply’s I’ll get the new tank once I finished working away.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Oh yes I went round with the black duct tape taped the lid on and every hole at the back just a half inch slot for the filter water to get in. If it makes it out their it deserves to walk the world as a human. I had a gar in the past that kept me on my toes plus a grass snake that I never seen again so I’m a little cautious. When I get the new tank I’m gunna make the stand and a cover lid to match furniture plus I have 3 kids. Explains itself really. So while I have you the fish I’m considering in the thread do you think they would be ok? And is their any others that would suit the Arowana better that I can corporate. Or even any decor it likes? Google can only go so far I’d rather ask the people who know. And thankyou for all your reply’s I’ll get the new tank once I finished working away.

The BGK would have to be fully grown but any fish that is big enough to not be viewed as a meal and nothing over aggressive like some specie of Cichlid.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I’d say do the change in about 5 months tops depending on the rate the Arowana grows. But to be honest I don’t know how quick the growth rate is.
In 5 months, a properly cared for 5" aro will be 14" in size. The other 6? fish you have will also have grown. In combination, even if you are doing 50% water changes every 3 days, your nitrates will creep up to very high levels (60-100 ppm.) Under those conditions with substantial aggression levels, stress will be high and health would be a big concern.

I won't speak to whether or not each of those particular fish will survive that long without killing or attacking each other, but I have kept some of them and I would not have confidence they would all make it.

The less room one gives fish, the more likely unnaturally high levels of aggression will be exhibited. That's been my observation and I think both studies and anecdotal evidence supports that view.

My advice would be to return the aro now and not to get any more fish until you have the 190 set up, or to change your plans and get the 190 ASAP, as tlindsey tlindsey has suggested.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jayoco and tlindsey

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Also, what is the dimension of the 190 you are looking at. I'd probably pose that to others who have kept aros, since I'd find it to be very frustrating to purchase a 190 and find out that it needed to be replaced for something a little larger.

Reactions: Jayoco and tlindsey

Jayoco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2018
Calgary
Hi drstrangelove thankyou for your input yes the more I think about what iv done an what I’m finding an what I’m being told I agree that the 190 isn’t going to cut it and need to get it done ASAP. To my understand I think I’m going to build my tank to save any disheartened in sourcing and will do asoon as I’m finished working away. Just pricing up glass now. The dimensions I’m going for is 60”L x 42”W x 30”H will be made from glass but also a timber frame I’m a massive lover of fish with experience so I’m not going to give up that easy expecialy with a two year dry spell of wanting to get back into it. Iv emergrated so been keen to set up again. I spoke to a pall and he’s been and took the Dempsey’s, firemouths and one redtail shark. Had to keep one for the wife that’s her favourite so they won’t be an issue. And I agree the less room calls for unhappy fish. I was going for a cichlids tank but then got side tracked when I found the Arowana then all plans changed hence the cichlids being involved.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store