Finding snakehead in Canada

Tech

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2014
Canada
Can anyone here point me to a source of dwarf snakeheads in Canada that ships? I've scoured the web and found that big al's used to carry them (when I called they said they do not carry them as they are illegal, which is odd since I'm in Alberta). Apparently Spencer Jack and Canadian Aquatics used to have them as well but neither have them currently and Mr.Lam at Canadian Aquatics said he's not likely to have them until next year. The only other source I've found is one member of this forum in the eastern provinces from months back and one guy in the southern end of my province selling a single rainbow with his community tank but surely there must be something out there.

I've reached a dead end. Any help?

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
D -DC- is the snakehead expert here. He would probably know, he probably won't see this for a while though because of his projects

Reactions: -DC-

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
PIJAC has no regulatory power that I'm aware of.

Federally Canada has no bans on channa.

Provincially Ontario , Quebec and British Colombia have placed bans on all channa and parachanna species . Manitoba bans only channa argus .

All other provinces have no bans or regulations on them .

The supply issue is mostly due to suppliers shipping routes that clear customes in one of the 3 banned provinces cutting the supply off to the others . Unfortunately I can't help much at finding a source for you , it has always been hard to find then and only got worse after those provincial bans took effect . I get access from time to time for new species but i have no go to guy any more it's more like an endless search and every once and a while I get lucky and grab up a new species.

Also keep in mind when searching that most channa species are seasonal, so it's not just a matter of finding someone who can get them. But also asking them at the right time of year so that they are on the supply lists.

I hope to produce auranti , bleheri & gachua this spring & I can ship . If your still looking later in the spring/early summer then your welcome to drop me a message and I'll see what I have available.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

Tech

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2014
Canada
I was not aware they were banned anywhere but Ontario. I guess Canadian Aquatics won't be getting any next year or any other.

-DC- hopefully your breeding project goes well. Maybe your pairs can the the Adam and Eve of snakheads in Canada.

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
Order a full box from belowwater and Oliver will ship it direct to you but the only stickler is you need to order a full box so that means how ever many snakeheads at the given size will fit in this said "box". It will come from the supplier directly to you. Oliver is just the middle man and he won't even see the fish.

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
I look into the option with with Oliver last year it's going to be expensive, unless your interested in buying several boxes full and are prepared to fork out several thousand dollars to meet the minimum order $$$ amount for the supplier he uses He won't do it . I tried that route I was told to expect freight charges of about 600$ And would need to hit a min order of ~1500$.

I placed my order of 4 boxes , total came to ~1800$ ,before tax and he replied back saying the supplier needed me to order more boxes and spend more money to send an order.

The order in the end didn't go through and I found what I wanted elsewhere.

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
Tech , tried to pm you but the site won't let me for some reason . What species are you after ? I know gachua are commonly called dwarf snakeheads was that what your after ??

I dont mean to sidebar your convo so Shoot me a pm if you can .

Cheers
-DC-

Tech

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2014
Canada
Tech , tried to pm you but the site won't let me for some reason . What species are you after ? I know gachua are commonly called dwarf snakeheads was that what your after ??

I dont mean to sidebar your convo so Shoot me a pm if you can .

Cheers
-DC-
Apparently you need a certain # of posts before you can send or receive PM's. I was looking for Bleheri preferentially but given the difficulty finding anything I'm open to others. Not too keen on spending thousands and becoming instantly overrun with them however.

Honestly my plan is to wait and see if you or another hobbyist breeds and sells them. They were reasonably abundant here not long ago, I would hope someone is having luck breeding them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store