fire eel in a 55 gal?

The Silvs

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2019
Leeds UK
Would never recommend FH to be "with" anything. If it doesn't destroy your stock on night 1 in my experience all it takes is for one fish to challenge territory and that's the whole tank dead. Fh don't attack to feed. They attack to play and enforce "tank boss" I personally don't feel there is any share option for a FH but many will disagree. I've had mine with bichir. Oscar's and a green terror. I had to rehome the lot. I now have a house full of 55's and a very happy "unbeatable" FH. I swear my Male had a smile on his face as he battered my bichirs :(

Reactions: DrownedFishonFire

Smdubya

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2020
hey guys , im thinking about getting a fire eel.
would a 55 gal be enough ? i know that they get pretty big.
i have a small flowerhorn and a plec in my 55 gal.
Similar question. Setting up a 75 gallon flowerhorn tank. What is anyone's thoughts on keeping 2 blood parrots and a fire eel in the same tank. I've heard more stories saying keep the flowerhorn solo. But quite a few success stories with multiple tank mates to perhaps spread the aggression a little bit.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
As said earlier that’s gonna depend on the Flowerhorn. Bps really lack any means of defense so they may not be the best option. Best bet is something that won’t be seen as a threat but large and mean enough to not be a meal.

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Similar question. Setting up a 75 gallon flowerhorn tank. What is anyone's thoughts on keeping 2 blood parrots and a fire eel in the same tank. I've heard more stories saying keep the flowerhorn solo. But quite a few success stories with multiple tank mates to perhaps spread the aggression a little bit.
I’ve had two Flowerhorns and from my experience keeping both in a 75 ( not at the same time) I’d say no tank mates. Both of mine were super aggressive once they hit 4-5”.

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
Not gonna work, might work in a 180 gallon since fire eels get 3ft. But also depends on the flowerhorns personality.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Poster is asking about flowerhorns only. The eel was part of the op’s post a year ago. Still good info though.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Poster is asking about flowerhorns only. The eel was part of the op’s post a year ago. Still good info though.
S Smdubya clearly asked about keeping 2 BP and a fire eel in a 75g in post #13 of this thread TODAY. Please check yourself before playing mod.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store