Fire eel in high pH

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
I'm assuming mine is so small it's either very stressed or they start off a lighter color. Yellow line too. Hard to get a good pic of it but please take a look.

20170319_114950.jpg

ShanerBock888

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2016
Warwick, NY
Yeah you've only had him for a few days so he's probably a bit stressed. I can't see much of the line but I know mine starts at yellow on the head then fades to orange and then red as it get's toward the midsection. If you have more yellow it may be related to the stressed coloring, or it may just be a kinda unique looking fire eel

Reactions: Irecruitfish

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
Yeah you've only had him for a few days so he's probably a bit stressed. I can't see much of the line but I know mine starts at yellow on the head then fades to orange and then red as it get's toward the midsection. If you have more yellow it may be related to the stressed coloring, or it may just be a kinda unique looking fire eel
Thanks for confirming how yours looks...glad to see him in a different spot in this pic.

20170319_155803.jpg

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
As mentioned just make sure every single opening no matter how small is basically closed...

I've lost one fire eel and one G.Polyuranadon that way...

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
As mentioned just make sure every single opening no matter how small is basically closed...

I've lost one fire eel and one G.Polyuranadon that way...
So my fire eel disappeared! Kidding but I seriously could not find it for a long time. It somehow made its way into my 10 gallon HOB filter. It blended in so well that when I looked in their the first time I didn't know it was there until I took a second look with a flashlight.

My 20 gallon quarantine tank has a 50 gallon HOB with very powerful flow and the 10 gallon HOB with weak flow.

I guess there is no stopping it from going in the filter? I made sure to cover all other holes after this crazy experience.

Reactions: Fat Homer

ShanerBock888

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2016
Warwick, NY
lol yeah that sounds like a typical fire eel move. I'm guessing the intake for the filter has the cage at the bottom so he must have gotten in through the return? What I did to prevent that is squeezed a piece of filter sponge in the gap where the water returns to the tank. The water has to pass through the sponge to get to the tank and there's no way for an eel or bichir to get up the return into the filter

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store