Fire eel in high pH

dat_tiger

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2008
boston
wow that's kinda impressive lol. Maybe switch to a canister?
I had a fire eel that got into the canister of a fx5 thru the outtake when it's shuts itself off every 24 hours to release the air bubbles trapped in the canister. I originally thought the fish was eaten by others until I decided to cleaned the canister months later and found it inside.

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
Wow that's insane. I can see my eel doing this too. Guess there is no way to stop it from going in the output. These "eels" are monster swimmers. :)

DeathStalker

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2015
United States
I've seen my Tire Track (when it was smaller) hanging out in the output nozzels of my FX6, but have not seen them swim UP the hose (imho, that would be quite a feat). Never had my Fire or my Tire try and escape either. This is my first successful attempt at a Fire Eel - had one before, but he just refused to eat. The one I have now has a great appetite. Started her off with Red Wigglers, now she's on full size Canadian Nightcrawlers - same for the Tire Track. Got them about the same time, and both were about the same size when I got them, but the Tire is now easily 3-4" larger than the Fire (and a lot thicker too).

Also, they're both in a relatively high ph tank - it usually measures 7.5-7.8, as I'm using the African Cichlid substrate (which is supposed to keep things at 8.0, but fortunately doesn't).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store