First drilled tank setup (210)

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
I think it will work better in the tank and not on the washing machine...lol
I hope so. The washer is right next to the freezer, which is serving as my work bench. My wife loves it when I am working on stuff.

I agree you can drill with the tank set up, I have done it a number of times.
Just drill the tank from inside to out, and have something to catch the little bit of water once the drill bit pushes thru.

Thanks Duane, I did finally realize that it was not that big a deal to do it with the tank in place. For whatever reason (probably youtube) I had it in my head I needed to drill from the outside in, which would be a pain to irrigate. Duh, it's an aquarium and it's purpose is to hold water. I got 2 extra 1.5 bulkheads and some extra pipe already for the e drains. I am still a little apprehensive about cracking the tank, but hopefully with adequate cooling, a decent bit, and a jig it will be a breeze.

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
Second tower is built, and I am filling the tank back up to see how they work out.

Dixon81

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2008
Massachusetts
I probably wouldn't bother with the bio balls. I don't believe they work well as submerged media. They will just get in the way if you ever have to service that stand pipe.

Reactions: robham777

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
I probably wouldn't bother with the bio balls. I don't believe they work well as submerged media. They will just get in the way if you ever have to service that stand pipe.
Thanks, you are probably right, I have always heard they are very poor media in a submerged environment. Off to the hardware store, the 1.5" slip bulkheads I ordered seem to have different mpt than the original ones so my drains don't fit anymore.

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
Oops! Hopefully I can find some brand new mistakes to make on the next tank, instead of repeating the same ones.

Almost ready for a test, hope it is not back to the drawing board.

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
I put my big boy pants on today and drilled an emergency drain. Went pretty smoothly, but there was some chipping on punch through. Glad I drilled it from the inside after all.

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
Reactions: robham777

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
Man, this project has given me a whole new appreciation for tank plumbing. This has taken way longer than I anticipated. The good news is that both drains have to be close to 100% blocked before the emergency drain is overwhelmed and that is with the pump running at the highest flow setting. Plumbing is more or less done.

I had to redo the drains, since the way I had them originally would not allow me to open the lid without removing them. It is still pretty tight underneath, but I can live with it.

The plumbing on the back requires 8.5 inches of clearance from the wall, which is more than I wanted, but I may be happy about it if I ever have to remove the plumbing with the tank in place.

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
Moved the tank into place and touched up the paint on the back yesterday. Filled it back up and added 100 lbs of sand and some driftwood today. Picked up a clear polycarbonate panel to use as lids temporarily. I still have to decide on lighting, but am leaning towards the led strips with a controller since they are so cheap and come in 5m lengths which would cover this tank and the 2 x 75 gallons that will go next to it.

Hope to get the 75's moved into place this week and get started on the stand for my next project.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store