First post on this website

Dmanwithnoname

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2022
Oh yeah about 8 inches now. Seems to be on a bit of a stall on growth- which I’m ok with for now

Chet E.

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2021
Minnesota
Handsome!
There are a number of color variants (species) in the C. lugubris group of Pike cichlids. All look quite similar as juvinals. "Sp. Venezuela" males approach 16" max size so are one of the largest. They would have an oculus on the tail.
C. johanna has some red color and may be the specific fish you have? If so, you may not "need" a 180... sorry... but you'll have a more colorful fish.
Gender is difficult to tell, I'm not yet convinced about yours. Females will eventually have a pink/red belly and red/white dorsal fin too.
I believed that freeze-dried krill helped bring out red coloring in the Pikes I'd kept. They enjoyed eating it too... if you can endure the smell.

Goggy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2015
Thailand
Hi,
This is C. johanna. A very easy way to tell is the horizontal blotch on the caudal. Only a handful of the lugubris-group pikes have this. Nice fish.

sp. Venezuela are grey and have a spot on the caudal. Oliver Lucanus likes to call them grey sausage pikes.

Dmanwithnoname

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2022
Thanks. Pretty neat find in Canada, it’s been very interesting watching its development. Certainly has a personality with sometimes odd behaviour. This is my first pike so maybe there is more of a wow factor .

Reactions: CrazyPhishMan
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store