Fish food storage temperature

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
Hi so I've been wondering what is the maximum temp you could store dry fish food and for how long before it degrades and loses nutritional value or worse turns bad? I'm asking because where I live fish food is brought from overseas by ships in steel containers, so the temperature can easily climb to 60C or more (140F). Also warehouses aren't typically cooled and temperatures are like mid 40C's (~105-120F) throughout summer (which is most of the year). RD I'm counting on you for this one. Somebody tag him I couldn't figure how to do it

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi so I've been wondering what is the maximum temp you could store dry fish food and for how long before it degrades and loses nutritional value or worse turns bad? I'm asking because where I live fish food is brought from overseas by ships in steel containers, so the temperature can easily climb to 60C or more (140F). Also warehouses aren't typically cooled and temperatures are like mid 40C's (~105-120F) throughout summer (which is most of the year). RD I'm counting on you for this one. Somebody tag him I couldn't figure how to do it
RD. RD.

Reactions: FESHMAN

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
The main enemy of food is heat, light, and oxygen. Exposure in the extreme of any of those will certainly decrease shelf life. Exactly how much is anyone's guess. Some of that would also depend on the food, as in how high the crude fat level is, how much and what kind of preservative was used in the food, etc.
My advice, use it up quickly! lol

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
The main enemy of food is heat, light, and oxygen. Exposure in the extreme of any of those will certainly decrease shelf life. Exactly how much is anyone's guess. Some of that would also depend on the food, as in how high the crude fat level is, how much and what kind of preservative was used in the food, etc.
My advice, use it up quickly! lol
In general what temperature X time would make a can go bad? I need something very general I know the composition varies even within a single brand but say we take an average food with mid protein and low fat content. How long would you say it can withstand heat assuming that it's shielded from light and sealed (never been opened)? Forgive me for asking too many questions but I want to know if I'm getting less than optimal quality for what I'm paying. Thank you for you time

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I would honestly only be guessing, but I would think that most nutrients would remain stable for several months. I suspect that most manufacturers take higher temps into consideration, especially those that are shipping overseas etc.

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
I would honestly only be guessing, but I would think that most nutrients would remain stable for several months. I suspect that most manufacturers take higher temps into consideration, especially those that are shipping overseas etc.
Thanks, that would make sense for large reputable companies

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store