Fish for 75 or 90 gallon tank

Cichlidsforlife

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2018
I am considering a red tiger mota cichlid or a Mayan Cichlid for this tank and I was wondering if these are good ideas and if I should consider anything else

Hidan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2018
Unless you plan to upgrade the tank eventually, the Mayan is will grow too large for this tank as it can hit 16 inches.

From what I have read the red tiger mota will grow to 12 inches which again is probably too large for a 75 gal and possibly 90 gal.
Also the red tiger mota is a very aggressive fish and is known to bite human fingers, so know this in advance and be prepared for that aggressiveness from the fish.

Toiletcar

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
USA
Unless you plan to upgrade the tank eventually, the Mayan is will grow too large for this tank as it can hit 16 inches.

From what I have read the red tiger mota will grow to 12 inches which again is probably too large for a 75 gal and possibly 90 gal.
Also the red tiger mota is a very aggressive fish and is known to bite human fingers, so know this in advance and be prepared for that aggressiveness from the fish.
I agree 100%. IMO neither species is really suited for a 4’ tank. Mayans get HITH very easily too.
Better fish would be salvini, JD or grammodes. I say grammodes because they are very slow growers and don’t get as big as the others. The only thing about them is they are extremely aggressive and you may not be able to keep anything else but a pair w/ divider.
Other then that h. Deppi is a good choice. You might be able to keep one w/ a salvini or JD. It may or may not work, it depends on the individual fish.

Reactions: Gourami Swami

Cichlidsforlife

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2018
Thanks so much for the replies, I was also thinking about keeping a severum or chocolate cichlid with a few angelfish, is this a good idea or no, this is the only other thing I’m considering rather than having one cichlid, Thanks.

Reactions: Toiletcar

Cichlidsforlife

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2018
Also I want to know if the red devil is a good option and if anyone has kept a Grammodes cichlid and could tell me about it, also I want to know if there are any good cichlids I am forgetting that can live in. 75-90 gallon tank, sorry for so many posts but I just want to know my options.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Red devil gets a bit large. I have kept grammodes, they are awesome fish. Very aggressive, in your face personality once they get larget than like 6". They grow very slow too, better for keeping in your smaller tank.

Single severum or chocolate with some angels would probably be fine too. Nice, less aggressive tank.

Cichlidsforlife

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2018
I have read that having fish that are less aggressive are boring to watch because they aren’t too much in your face, do you have any experience with that? Thanks.

Cichlidsforlife

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2018
Also do Texas cichlids work for 75 gallons? Sorry for so many questions I’m kinda new to cichlids. Are there any African cichlids that are large and can live in a 75 gallon tank?

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
I have read that having fish that are less aggressive are boring to watch because they aren’t too much in your face, do you have any experience with that? Thanks.
Most cichlids are interactive. Even my dwarf cichlids like Bolivian Rams were in my face begging for food all the time. Same with the koi Angel I had - he would follow me around the room. I've heard Severum are similar.
Better to have fish that are more suited for your tank size for life than base on "aggression" if you just want interactive.

Paratilapia Polleni is another one to consider if you want an interactive fish. They are supposedly similar to Oscars in behavior. They are piscivores though so any other tankmates would need to be large enough not to be eaten.

I also always recommend going with the largest tank, so would personally do the 90 over the 75.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store