Fish for 75 or 90 gallon tank

Hidan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2018
can a red devil live a comfortable life in a 75 gallon? Thanks!
Nope. It would be too small a tank for a Red Devil.

Is it possible to keep a pleco or catfish with any of these
Plecos are usually ignored, so can be kept with most fish, including aggressive cichlids. Plecos have armored bodies, so usually don't take damage when the cichlid occasionally pick on them. Just provide them a hiding place (wood, rocks) etc to hide if the cichlid gets too aggressive and they should be fine.

Lastly, all cichlids are interactive and fun fish. Hyper aggressive cichlids make your job more difficult as they may even bite your hand when your trying to clean the tank and those bites hurt and some are known to jump out of the tank looking to bite the owners hand.
Simply put whichever cichlid you choose, will get used to you and will come begging for food as well as chasing you to the front of the tank. Cichlids in general have a lot of personality, which is what makes them so popular in the hobby.
My suggestion is since you are new to the hobby, pick a semi aggressive fish that doesn't grow too large (pick a cichlid whose looks you like), rather than a hyper aggressive fish. It will make your job of cleaning the tank a lot more easier and will also give you a few option as you may be able to add tank mates for semi aggressive species.

Reactions: magpie

Hidan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2018
Green Terrors, Jack Demseys, Firemouths, Texas, Oscars, Severums, Jewels are some of them you can look into.

Some grow relatively large (Terrors, Demseys, Texas, Oscars) but you could keep a single fish in a 90. Yes its not ideal, but a 90 is ok for a single fish.

With some of them like Firemouths, Severums, Jewels you can keep a few in a 90 or a pair in a 75 (people with better expertise will be able to guide you on the ideal number once you decide on the fish). All are fun fish and will interact with you.

In my country, we don't get a lot of the exotic varieties of cichlids, so the choices I have offered are limited. Its also why I usually recommend you visit your local fishstore and look at what they have. You can just google the fish name and see what size it will get as well as read some articles about it, before you buy the same. Just make sure you love that fish, as its a cichlid so you will be spending half a decade together (in short its a long term commitment).

Hidan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2018
Also look into an Electric Blue Jack Demsey. Well cool looking fish and grow smaller than a regular Jack Demsey.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store