fish for kids?

Kashif314

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2019
This thread is going into some other direction. Things getting complicated. The OP asked us what he can stock in his 5 GALLON he has and he doesn't ask that he is planning to upgrade that tank with a new one. He wants to make use of the EXISTING tank he has. So best advice is to recommend him fish good for a 5 gallon instead of suggesting him to go for 10 gallon or bigger. Yes, the bigger the better but he wants to make use of the tank he already owns.

I recommended already and I say again to OP that any colorful fish would be good for your 3 year old. She needs a lively energetic color fish. A hardy one and a fish that jump to offered food without any hesitation. Danios, tetras, barbs, rasboras, platties you name it. There are so many colourful small fish she would love feeding and seeing in her tank.

• Wow
Reactions: islandguy11

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I have some empty 10 gallons I could use.
He wants to make use of the EXISTING tank he has.
A 5 gallon isn’t all that he has.
I just want to try to make this easy on op as he’s going to be the one doing all the maintenance (likely) and the parameters are much more stable in a 10 than a 5.

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
Didn't read the whole thread, but I'd recommend a minimum of 20 gallons. You want her to have success and enjoy the hobby, and the really small water volumes leave no room for error.

I recently had a friend do the same thing for his daughter. He got her a 10, and twice within the first month all her fish died.

jyabs7

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2019
Either way I appreciate any feedback from you guys, no worries. Even if it strayed off from the direction i'm going, it gives ideas for other options, or give me an idea of what i'm getting into. I can absorb everyone's recommendations and use it or not, but it doesn't hurt to hear them.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
J jyabs7 well said...

Anyway, with so many recommendations be sure to post pics of the final setup as the big reveal, since im sure a lot of people would be interested to see which direction you ultimately decide to go ;)

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
J jyabs7 well said...

Anyway, with so many recommendations be sure to post pics of the final setup as the big reveal, since im sure a lot of people would be interested to see which direction you ultimately decide to go ;)
X2

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I know I'll be watching to see what he does now that I've gotten interested in this.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
What girl wouldn’t love an octopus with all those suction cups?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store