fish for kids?

Zanzag

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
Central PA
I used to keep it. As stated its messy but sucks up nitrates pretty well. Took me forever to get rid of it because even little fragments grow fast. That and my goldfish wouldn't eat the excess.

jyabs7

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2019
Is myrio and hornwort the same thing? Sounds like from some reading they're similair but myrio has less tendencies of being messy, but still a quick and large grower. The plants I have were sold as myrio

Zanzag

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
Central PA
If myrio, its green watermilfoil. Needs high light, grows like crazy and if anything like other milfoils fragments and spreads like crazy

Reactions: jyabs7

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Is myrio and hornwort the same thing? Sounds like from some reading they're similair but myrio has less tendencies of being messy, but still a quick and large grower. The plants I have were sold as myrio
From what I've read, myrio has "branches" that grow needles, whereas hornwort grows needles directly from the stem. The needles on myrio almost resemble the branch of a fern.

I actually really hate hornwort! When it sheds needles all over the tank it’s a mess!!!

I let mine grow into a big floating Matt and then I clip a 1 inch piece off to keep in my tank while selling off the Matt of hornwort. I only have it in my tanks bc it sucks up nitrates.
Sounds like a good option for a sump...

Reactions: jyabs7

jyabs7

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2019
not much to report, just waiting waiting waiting. I'm not a very patient man, but i'm trying my best. I find myself stopping to look at it every time i walk over that side of the house. I had to do a water change on the gator pond anyways so i checked on the 55 gallon. no ammonia, no nitrites, high nitrates. Which is fine, since there's no fish in it, but i decided to do a 20% change anyways. not sure if that's the right thing to do since it hasn't been a week yet but i felt like it couldn't hurt. plants aren't browning or dying off so far, which is a start for me. usually my house plants don't last more than a week haha.

so far i'm happy with the stuff i bought for it. the fx6 made the water change easier than hell. the water change valve it has was as easy as turning on and off a faucet. the planted plus light seems to provide adaquate lighting through the whole tank, not sure how the plants feel but time will tell. i like not having to mess with it, it just turns off and on by itself. the heater and the controller are working pretty seemlessly, so far it doesn't come on all that much being the house is pretty close to the tank temp.

i am curious if anyone has any experience with any standalone top skimmers. not a protein skimmer, just a normal one for film and particles. My 55 gallon doesn't need it, but the pond gets a film on it pretty quick, and i don't want to tap into the filter line to add one. i've seem a few cheapy ones that can just hang on the side and they do their thing but not sure on real life experience with them.

Reactions: Angelphish

jyabs7

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2019
Like I had said, very high lighting required. It may be for the best, youd soon tire of the constant trimming and replanting

I'd say there's about 4 strands of it left that are a still healthy green, but we'll see if they last. did a lot of trimming and removing of the other plants last night. I'm hoping i don't lose too much. I noticed that the plants in the back are growing like weeds which is surprising to me being so soon, and the plants in front aren't doing too much if not browning. I'm taking a non experienced guess that it's my light, and shifted the placement of it more towards the front of the tank. i'll see how that does over the next few weeks.

One question I have, what do i do with the larger plants? They're already sprouting almost at the water level height but being they're just big leaves im not sure how i trim that, or just let it grow forever? particularly the big one right being the boat, and the one to the left in the back by the filter output.

Reactions: Angelphish

Zanzag

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
Central PA
My only plants I trim are water lily's they block the whole surface if I let them go. Otherwise i just snap off a leaf or two if they aren't growing in a way that suits me. I'd let the plants that are growing well go for a while yet. It will help establish a root system faster
Also I've got a large goldfish so all plants that I no longer want in my other tanks go to him. He wont eat java fern or water Sprite though.

jyabs7

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2019
sweet. i'll just let them grow until their heart is content then. I've been trying to trim off anything browning as soon as i see that it's getting past the point of no return. The ones doing well i really didn't expect to grow so quick. two of them should be hitting the lid within the next two weeks at this rate.

i have some misc floating plants in my gator pond and they seem healthy still, not doing anything too crazy but i imagine the water surface is too agitated for some of them to multiply too quick as i've read they prefer calmer waters. He has also decided twice that he doesn't like his swamp house that covers the water output and i've found it floating in the water. hah

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store