Fish Legends.

itrebebag99

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2017
Illinois
Central mudminnows can survive temps below freezing, above 100° F, in stagnant water with virtually no oxygen, and in dried up mud! Probably the worlds toughest fish!! Make great aquarium fish as well...I currently have 4 of them.
Just looked up their range, and they surprisingly are primarily a northern fish, which is funny for something tolerant of high water temperatures and low dissolved oxygen content. It does look like they inhabit the areas around the Illinois River. When kind of habitat would I most likely find them in?

itrebebag99

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2017
Illinois
Central mudminnows can survive temps below freezing, above 100° F, in stagnant water with virtually no oxygen, and in dried up mud! Probably the worlds toughest fish!! Make great aquarium fish as well...I currently have 4 of them.
Just looked up their range, and they surprisingly are primarily a northern fish, which is funny for something tolerant of high water temperatures and low dissolved oxygen content. It does look like they inhabit the areas around the Illinois River. When kind of habitat would I most likely find them in?

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Goldfish can be frozen into blocks of ice and survive. MrsE88 MrsE88 had one that survived partially being frozen, and I know a misguided soul who put his black moor in the freezer to try this out and his poor goldie did not survive :( . I rate this 50% true.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Hide your nuts while your swim bc there are sharks in the sauna pools.
LOL and,not to be outdone is the candiru which has a propensity for entering a man's penis, traveling up his urethra and locking itself in place with the barbs on it's fins!

Reactions: J. H. and Atfownz

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
Goldfish can be frozen into blocks of ice and survive. MrsE88 MrsE88 had one that survived partially being frozen, and I know a misguided soul who put his black moor in the freezer to try this out and his poor goldie did not survive :( . I rate this 50% true.
I had three commons survive in a kiddie pool that froze over one winter.

Reactions: J. H.

itrebebag99

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2017
Illinois
Hide your nuts while your swim bc there are sharks in the sauna pools.
Ahh, such a shame. I usually smear my nuts in fish blood, and cut a hole in my bathing suit, and flop my bare nuts around in the water. But now that I know that there are sharks in the hot tub, I guess I will have to remove my nuts and hide them in the lockeroom...

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Ahh, such a shame. I usually smear my nuts in fish blood, and cut a hole in my bathing suit, and flop my bare nuts around in the water. But now that I know that there are sharks in the hot tub, I guess I will have to remove my nuts and hide them in the lockeroom...
Ehh what the Hell? LMAO!

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
400 pounds might be a bit of a stretch for blue cats, but there are reliable reports from Constantine Rafinesque, a reputable naturalist, who reported regularly seeing 250-300 pound blue cats in the early 1800s before the commercial fishery took its toll.
So then the flathead isn't really the biggest NA catfish?
This would make the blue catfish equal in size or bigger than even piraiba. The only catfish bigger than it are the wels and mekong giant?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store