Votes: 9 14.1%
  • I can't decide!

Votes: 15 23.4%

• Total voters

HPIZZLE

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2007
although this site is monsterfishkeepers, every only fish person wishes they could have our awesome herps.

i have had a lot of cool fish, but the whole time the only thing i really wanted in the world was a bearded dragon.

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
HPIZZLE;4072774; said:
although this site is monsterfishkeepers, every only fish person wishes they could have our awesome herps.

i have had a lot of cool fish, but the whole time the only thing i really wanted in the world was a bearded dragon.
I am far more envious of many of the fish on this website than any of the herps. Herps are a PITA compared to most fish and aren't nearly as interesting imo. The only animals that interest me more than fish are dogs and cats.

snakeguy101

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2009
posting bail
drgnfrc13;4072785; said:
I am far more envious of many of the fish on this website than any of the herps. Herps are a PITA compared to most fish and aren't nearly as interesting imo. The only animals that interest me more than fish are dogs and cats.
how are reptiles more difficult to take care of than most reptiles? You only need a heat lamp and a hide spot for many reptiles whereas fish need to have well maintained water quality and must be fed daily. Not to mention the price of filtration....

don't get me wrong, I like fish a lot but in my opinion it is far cooler to have an eyelash viper than an oscar or even something rarer like a datnoid....

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
snakeguy101;4072823; said:
how are reptiles more difficult to take care of than most reptiles? You only need a heat lamp and a hide spot for many reptiles whereas fish need to have well maintained water quality and must be fed daily. Not to mention the price of filtration....

don't get me wrong, I like fish a lot but in my opinion it is far cooler to have an eyelash viper than an oscar or even something rarer like a datnoid....
To me, fishkeeping is easy, keeping larger reptiles is more comparable to keeping dogs and is far less rewarding imo. Reptiles require more attention and specialized care than fish. With fish, if you can maintain good water quality, then you can keep just about any freshwater fish that your tank size allows for, with reptiles, each animal can have completely different needs so whenever you decide to buy another one, you first have to do a ton of research (more than with fish) and buy new supplies. Another downside to keeping reptiles is that you can't keep multiple species in a single tank and have a community setup, so each time you get a new animal you have to get another setup, which would also mean a lot more space is taken up.

TTTT

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2009
Cincinnati - The 513
drgnfrc13;4072845; said:
To me, fishkeeping is easy, keeping larger reptiles is more comparable to keeping dogs and is far less rewarding imo. But with a dog you have to walk it, play with it, etc Reptiles require more attention and specialized care than fish. Many reptiles would be content to just sit in their enclosure all the time.. most don't need to come outWith fish, if you can maintain good water quality, then you can keep just about any freshwater fish that your tank size allows for PH differences, heating differences, larger fish eat smaller fish, with reptiles, each animal can have completely different needs so whenever you decide to buy another one, you first have to do a ton of research Many species have similiar care, actually. Although you are right, for some types you need to do lots of special research to be ready to own one. and buy new supplies. Another downside to keeping reptiles is that you can't keep multiple species in a single tank and have a community setup, so each time you get a new animal you have to get another setup, which would also mean a lot more space is taken up. Many people have rack systems, which take up very little space. You could keep a rack with 8 ball pythons on it, for example, in the same space as one ball python
^

Stingray12

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2007
Saranac Lake, NY
For me, I've just started keeping herps and enjoy them far more than freshwater fishtanks. But if I had say a motoro stingray tank, i probably would really enjoy it, same goes for saltwater. When I had my saltwater tank , i loved it but the maintenance was immense. Right now with two beardies, two turts, a bts, and a crested gecko i am doing less work than my 24 gallon aquapod I had and enjoying that I can hold my herps. I probably would like the stingray tan or a big saltwater just as much as my herps now but they would have far more maintance and time involved.

PacuPete

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2010
Massachusetts
anything is better than herpes.....oh wait...thats not what you meant...lmfao

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
TTTT;4072902; said:
To me, fishkeeping is easy, keeping larger reptiles is more comparable to keeping dogs and is far less rewarding imo. But with a dog you have to walk it, play with it, etc Okay, I guess I agree with that, but I didn't say it was exactly like keeping a dog... Reptiles require more attention and specialized care than fish. Many reptiles would be content to just sit in their enclosure all the time.. most don't need to come out What I meant by that was that if, for example, you have an iguana and it catches some kind of disease, you will probably have to spend much more time and do much more work to get it healthy again, whereas with a fish, you just raise temps, add salt, and possibly add meds and then just basically just let that take care of it. With fish, if you can maintain good water quality, then you can keep just about any freshwater fish that your tank size allows for PH differences, heating differences, larger fish eat smaller fish pH isn't nearly as big of a deal as many people make it out to be. As long as it doesn't fluctuate, most fish will be fine in any reasonable pH (6.0-8.5). As for the other differences you mentioned, there are still a lot more combinations of fish that will live together than there are for herps., with reptiles, each animal can have completely different needs so whenever you decide to buy another one, you first have to do a ton of research Many species have similiar care, actually. Although you are right, for some types you need to do lots of special research to be ready to own one. and buy new supplies. Another downside to keeping reptiles is that you can't keep multiple species in a single tank and have a community setup, so each time you get a new animal you have to get another setup, which would also mean a lot more space is taken up. Many people have rack systems, which take up very little space. You could keep a rack with 8 ball pythons on it, for example, in the same space as one ball python That still takes up more space than a single fish tank that could hold the same number of animals, and would require extra maintenance.

^
^

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store