Fish prices ~ Australia vs the world

Rodders02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2015
Perth, Australia
Coming from Australia, I don't think many people who don't live here can appreciate the difficulty we need to go to, to get our hands on rare and exotic fish! For those who are unfamiliar with this, australias import laws are VERY strict which means that most ornamental freshwater fish are unable to be brought into the country legally. Which inevitably means that what's here is what's here for the most part.

I thought it would be a fun thread for people who come from other countries e.g. The UK or USA to name a very common fish which you may see down at your lfs regularly and at a cheap price, and those from Australia can shed some light on how much it will cost to buy over here!

I'll start, I recently purchased a Polypterus Endlicheri @40cm, perfect condition for $1400 AUD. I imagine that in the US and UK these don't go for more then $50...

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Coming from Australia, I don't think many people who don't live here can appreciate the difficulty we need to go to, to get our hands on rare and exotic fish! For those who are unfamiliar with this, australias import laws are VERY strict which means that most ornamental freshwater fish are unable to be brought into the country legally. Which inevitably means that what's here is what's here for the most part.

I thought it would be a fun thread for people who come from other countries e.g. The UK or USA to name a very common fish which you may see down at your lfs regularly and at a cheap price, and those from Australia can shed some light on how much it will cost to buy over here!

I'll start, I recently purchased a Polypterus Endlicheri @40cm, perfect condition for $1400 AUD. I imagine that in the US and UK these don't go for more then $50...

Wow! That is not right imo. How much for a Senegalus? Here $8.00 US.

Troy1015

Banned
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
Seattle
It depends if wild caught or captive bred 40 almost 16 inches would be anywhere from 80 to 150. But what I want to know aout is how much are AUL in Australia here it is very expensive.

Rodders02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2015
Perth, Australia
Not sure wether it's CB or WC.

AUL range from between $700 - $1500 depending on time of the year I believe. How much would you expect to pay?

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
It'd be cheaper to move continent than to start fishkeeping in oz. That's the equivalent of £828 uk currency. That's totally bonkers.

Troy1015

Banned
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
Seattle
I believe the math my friends and I did was $2000 per AUL but you would have to buy a box of 30 to get them shipped and calculate in deaths so 2500 ish, but if you post pics in the poly sub forum I can help you id your bichir,

Reactions: Rodders02

Rodders02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2015
Perth, Australia
That's a hefty price tag. An AUL would be cool, I think I prefer bichirs though. Cheers, I'll post a pic in the poly section. He's the one in my profile pic by the way.

Troy1015

Banned
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
Seattle
Here where bichirs are abundant and even to us bichir fanatics I think most of us would die for a AUL lol

Reactions: J. H.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store