fish room drip

Danh

Piranha
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
South East
That's CRAZY. That doesn't damage anything????

Yup, 100% condensation.. gets bad as pictured in the winter months... goes away in the summer when the ground water warms up in the lines... Using 800 gal a day doesnt help the cause either. Ill insulate it eventually lol... Id imagine larger lines would just condensate more...but thats y they make that grey foam to go over basement pipes.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
That's CRAZY. That doesn't damage anything????
surprisingly no...only happens for half of the year... other half there bone dry... 90% of my lines run directly over my tanks so they drip on the lids and i wipe it off occasionaly or it evaporates. Can this problem easily be fixed with some insulation, sure... im 2 busy building more tanks and caring for the fish 2 be 2 concerned about it tho lol... been toying the idea of running 1/2" pvc on the outside of my 1/4" to collect the water/condensation... or ill order some of that foam insulation one day and toss er up. About every time of year i get annoyed by it...it gets warm and goes away. The benefits of the autodrip highly out weigh the cons of condensation. If your using mixed water drips in winter hot/cold... this wouldnt happen either. I am also using an extreme amt of water at 33gph, thats y its so cold with no time to warm up in the lines.

carbene

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2013
SF BA
surprisingly no...only happens for half of the year... other half there bone dry... 90% of my lines run directly over my tanks so they drip on the lids and i wipe it off occasionaly or it evaporates. Can this problem easily be fixed with some insulation, sure... im 2 busy building more tanks and caring for the fish 2 be 2 concerned about it tho lol... been toying the idea of running 1/2" pvc on the outside of my 1/4" to collect the water/condensation... or ill order some of that foam insulation one day and toss er up. About every time of year i get annoyed by it...it gets warm and goes away. The benefits of the autodrip highly out weigh the cons of condensation. If your using mixed water drips in winter hot/cold... this wouldnt happen either. I am also using an extreme amt of water at 33gph, thats y its so cold with no time to warm up in the lines.
thats a lot of water, good thing you dont live in cali.

Reactions: wednesday13

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Are you on a well wednesday13 wednesday13
Nope... city tap fed by a local res.. I run an icemaker type carbon/sediment filter $12 for 6 months or around 1200g i believe on only one system of mine housing Axolotl. City uses chlorine but no chloramines. Sure id like to add pre filtration/hma's on my drip lines but at 33gph id burn through cartridges. Debating adding a 4-5' fiberglass type softner tank and or carbon to improve on water quality but i havent seen any ill results yet.20160414_232811.jpg

Reactions: mrrobxc

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
Man what the heck are you talking about you should be a friggen idol of anybody on here. I think we have compotitionfor the king of diy! That is a good idea and I notice your basement is where you have all your tanks and your bottom of your steps look perfect. You don't have a humidity problem at all?

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Man what the heck are you talking about you should be a friggen idol of anybody on here. I think we have compotitionfor the king of diy! That is a good idea and I notice your basement is where you have all your tanks and your bottom of your steps look perfect. You don't have a humidity problem at all?
haha yeah, what else do u do with under the stairs space but add another tank? surprisingly no, no humidity issues...to the point i quit running a dehumidifier all together...saves me $80-100 a month. 11 of my tanks are all covered... #12 covered is in a state of repair so i currently have a 10' open top pool running lol... even with the pool no issues, sure its worse with the pool but not enough 2 bother me/cause problems... First thing i did when i moved in was cover the entire basement/fishroom ceiling with 10mil black conractors plastic 2 create a vapor barrier. You can see the black ceiling/plastic in one of those drip systems pics i posted earlier in the thread. Before this house i had a garage fishroom... was terrible for himidity/mold even heated. never again lol... also had humidity/mold issues with tanks/ponds on my sun porch but never in my basement. All my tanks are in my basement now.. 4200 gal.

Reactions: mrrobxc

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
thank you for posting this was really informative. I am playing with a couple different ideas. do you know how may gph the 1/4 inch tubing can handle?

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
thank you for posting this was really informative. I am playing with a couple different ideas. do you know how may gph the 1/4 inch tubing can handle?
I'm using a 100gpd regulator on my carbon drip and it's barely close to the max....my guess is 500 gpd...but you could always split the drip into more tubes with diff regulators if u needed more

I split mine... one has 100gpd for the 600 gallon and the other tube has 40GPD for the 270

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
haha yeah, what else do u do with under the stairs space but add another tank? surprisingly no, no humidity issues...to the point i quit running a dehumidifier all together...saves me $80-100 a month. 11 of my tanks are all covered... #12 covered is in a state of repair so i currently have a 10' open top pool running lol... even with the pool no issues, sure its worse with the pool but not enough 2 bother me/cause problems... First thing i did when i moved in was cover the entire basement/fishroom ceiling with 10mil black conractors plastic 2 create a vapor barrier. You can see the black ceiling/plastic in one of those drip systems pics i posted earlier in the thread. Before this house i had a garage fishroom... was terrible for himidity/mold even heated. never again lol... also had humidity/mold issues with tanks/ponds on my sun porch but never in my basement. All my tanks are in my basement now.. 4200 gal.

Do you drip warm water since your tanks are in the basement and to help keep electric costs down on the heaters since ur dripping so much?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store