Fish that wants to get out. HELP

2fast2slow

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
NJ
hey everyone i have a JD that is about 5 inches. and for some reason he is starting to act crazy. Yesterday morning when the lights came on he start running around in the tank and then he jumped out and landed on the floor:nilly:. Then last night a few minutes after i turned of the lights he went crazy again and then jumped out and landed on the glass. SO i was able to save him both times but he is hurt pretty bad from hitting thing. SO I closed up everything to make sure he can jump out again. And this morning i hear him banging the stuff i used closed up the holes with trying to get out. can anyone tell me what i can do to stop this before he kills himself

k0330887

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2009
UK
Could do with a bit more info, such as dimensions of tank and tankmates...Any hiding places? JD's have been quite skittish ime

2fast2slow

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
NJ
well i dont have the paramaters but the tank is a 55, and he is with one jag, one dovii, and three black belts. filters are an AC110 and AC70

Cakilla

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2009
Illinois
is there any hinding places for him, second what kind of lights are you using maybe they are to bright or might hurt his eyes ? since he started acting "crazy" after the light was turned on ...

k0330887

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2009
UK
How big are the other fish? Space and aggression may be possible causes, the JD is the least aggressive/capable fish in the tank.

CrazyCichlids

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2008
Manahawkin, NJ
Even if all the fish you listed are only 2 inches big you have some aggressive fish that probably are not getting along.....I would be hesitant to have that stock list in a 125 for fear of bad fights.....the jack is probably trying to get out and cichlids will continue to try and flee an area if it is not suitable for them......put him in another tank if you can....also check PH and Nitrates....

2fast2slow

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
NJ
they are all close in size, the dovii is the small around 3.5 inches and the biggest is the black belt which is around 6

marauders30

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2009
san diego
i would say u need a definate upgrade. that stock is better fit for like a 240 with that dovii in there. maybe not even that. i know they are small so their in the 55 but maybe that could be the problem? i would def check the parameters though

fish_n_vw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2008
Tacoma Wa.
All those other fish are 9 times out of 10 highly aggresive and jack dempseys are more 50/50 watch your fish for several hours I'm sure you will find that the j/d is everyones whipping boy. Read your fish and make a change to your stock load if you have too. The jag and the j/d alone would need the 55 to them selves and the jag will outgrow that tank soon. I would say a 240 and remove the dovii. They are very aggresive and IMO should never be housed with other fish eccept a mate and then only in a 6 foot or longer tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store