FISHING SEASON 2K12!!!!!!

JD7.62

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
at the 'Bama Breeze
Ive catfished with an Ohio River Legend many times and all he did was drift. Big cats are pretty stationary so its important to cover alot of water.

This guy is a catfish king and isnt satisfied with out something at least 60lbs and he usually hits a 70lb fish at least once a year. This guy has been doing it for 40years and knows whats up. jworth, if youve gone to fishin.com he is riverrat. His name is Chuck and a good fellar to fish with. I believe he also held the KY State record blue or flattie for awhile but I could be wrong.

Anyhow, we would drift large skipjacks or several large dead shad on a carolina rig and and 10/0 circle hooks over his honey holes. Once we passed the holes we would motor back up current and make another drift. Yes you can get hung up but thats part of it. Yall would be sick to see how much expensive terminal tackle you lose bottom fishing offshore!

If the current is too fast, just use your OB to slow down the drift.

jworth

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2008
Indianapolis
have never been to that site. Interesting about the drifting. Its all the Ohio river guys talk about. Wish I could get in the boat with someone that knows what they are doing down there! As far as losing tackle offshore, I am sure I would be sick to my stomach with all the gear that gets damaged or lost.

JD7.62

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
at the 'Bama Breeze
I could probably get you fishing with Chuck. He fishes on Fridays during the day only as its "his" off day. Let me know and I can get you in touch with him. I think the Ohio is down right nasty and high right now though. But let me tell you about Chuck, he is a big boy with the most beautiful golden locks of hair youve ever seen. LoL and he is more excited about fishing then anyone Ive ever known. So if you dont mind having your ears talked off about fishing by a giant Goldilocks I dont think youd find a better person to catfish with!

When going offshore, we usually will go through at least $20 in just hooks, weights (8oz egg sinkers aint cheap anymore!), swivels, and leaders per person.

Owain4

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2011
amongst the trees
I haven't seen any ice fishing photos but i'll start. This is a afternoon catch for 5 people. Great day. It was +1c on the day which is the warmest day in 100 years. 389380_10151134114350615_859095614_22269786_596488651_n.jpg

389380_10151134114350615_859095614_22269786_596488651_n.jpg

just3542

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
North Haledon, New Jersey
Nice catches Owain! I'm still waiting for ice-up in NJ. I was 65 degrees last weekend. 65 DEGREES! And, of course, the ice was finally covering the lakes, but the warmth melted it again.

Dreamsofpeace54

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2007
Maryland
drifting the potomac is definitly worth a try. i have no real way of measuring speed though, we make just give it a try once it warms up alittle bit. the holes out there are literaly just that. very short, and the channel is curvy. thanks for the advice though. a buddy of mine just got a 75 lber out there so i know there plenty of big ones out there

jworth

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2008
Indianapolis
JD im always looking for someone to hit the river with. If you still talk to that guy, definitely give me a shout. Ill be back down in FL on the 5th of Feb and I am pretty pumped now that we are getting 4" of snow tonight!

fisherman1035

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2010
Nebraska
been out twice with one trout this year and like the 30th i was in texas and caught 2 bass at lake travis one guad one largemouth had one about 4-5 lbs jump and get off right at shore
the ones i caught were about 13 - 15 inches

JD7.62

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
at the 'Bama Breeze
Well I did my first free dive spearfishing trip from my kayak today. First spot was about 1/4mi out in the Gulf and for what ever the visibility was horrible on the bottom and I couldnt see crap.

The second spot was in the sound. The water was 53* but I borrowed my buddies 5mil wetsuit and I was comfortable. For the first 10 minutes the viz was good but then the tide started ripping and visibility dropped. I only managed one small sheepshead here. Despite the poor viz for this time of year it was still nice to be back in the water and I was happy to find that I could easily get in and out of my kayak. One thing did suck and that is swimming with a torn MCL. :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store