Fishing season 2k14!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andrew1002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
New jersey
Deep freeze got them. in all honesty andrew there's probably not much left in there if that many of them passed, anything that lived is going to be the smaller fish that require less oxygen
Damn. I was hoping some of the big 8 pounders lived

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Probably have to restock it, not sure how it was for you up in NJ but down in pittsburgh we had a brutal winter! Hope the sunnies, bass, and bullheads in my local lake survived.

Cod

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
Michigan
my cousin had a half acre pond, winter fish kill took tons of gills, perch and LMB, it took a couple years for the gills to come back strong. they were bigger than ever b4. the bass took a hard hit, but we caught some decent size ones couple years after the gills came back. fish kills are good for the health of the pond, but not good for fishing =(.

Andrew1002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
New jersey
Probably have to restock it, not sure how it was for you up in NJ but down in pittsburgh we had a brutal winter! Hope the sunnies, bass, and bullheads in my local lake survived.
my cousin had a half acre pond, winter fish kill took tons of gills, perch and LMB, it took a couple years for the gills to come back strong. they were bigger than ever b4. the bass took a hard hit, but we caught some decent size ones couple years after the gills came back. fish kills are good for the health of the pond, but not good for fishing =(.
This pond is at my house in ny btw and the ice was an easy 2' thick all winter. And today it's about. So I think I'm gonna deepen the pond this year. My step-dad has a big machine he said he's gonna make it a little bit deeper. We were looking to get some trout this year and probably some koi and more natives. I don't want to start another discussion on here about the stocking so I'm gonna make a thread on it.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Winterkills will not able to get all fish. There will be always some survivors but they will be probably small fishes through it is possible for a big bass survived the winterkills. We often check on winterkill lakes and there will be few big bass being caught during summer fishing. Winterkill lakes often produce trophy panfish and large predatory fish (bass and pike) but that is due to have same age of class instead of various ages in all classes.

Andrew1002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
New jersey
Winterkills will not able to get all fish. There will be always some survivors but they will be probably small fishes through it is possible for a big bass survived the winterkills. We often check on winterkill lakes and there will be few big bass being caught during summer fishing. Winterkill lakes often produce trophy panfish and large predatory fish (bass and pike) but that is due to have same age of class instead of various ages in all classes.
I hope to find some of those bass. I actually went out today on my Jon boat with a spotlight right before dark and I was searching the water for fish and the floor was lined in dead fish and I managed to see three live fish where I looked. They swam away but I still managed to see them. I think it was sunfish

Cod

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
Michigan
wouldnt it be a good idea to restock so the gene pool wont burn out? i feel thats always a good option

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
wouldnt it be a good idea to restock so the gene pool wont burn out? i feel thats always a good option
Don't need to be worrying about gene pool, nature will take care of weaklings.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Those stupid herrings will also take care of weaklings and unfortunately spawning bass too

The shads don't feed on spawning bass or other fish eggs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store